or Connect

Posts by CrunchyFarmGirl

Thanks everyone for your ideas and help. I do think I am probably expecting too much for their ages. I have a close friend whose DD makes virtually no messes ever, just by temperment. It is amazing and a bit hard to not compare to, although I know she is far and away the exception and not the rule. Karen Rose, I could have almost written that myself! DH and I have done that many times before. I always feel best, secretly, when they don't pick up and I get to remove boxes...
Hi all, I'm curious how people on this forum deal with cleaning. I'd like my kids to enjoy and want to clean on their own without feeling like it is a chore. I've heard people say that the mom should just clean up and let the kids join in as they please. That all sounds fine on paper to me, but in real life I feel like a slave and want my kids to pick up their own messes. When they were smaller I just did everything in hopes they would join in. Perhaps I didn't keep...
If you make ghee out of your butter it removes all the casein from it and also raises the smoke point so it's easier to cook with. I think that the amount of casein in the butter oil is probably very low. If your still worried about it though, I think that after a good 3-6 weeks or so of absolutely no dairy your and dd's body will be much more able to tolerate those tiny amounts and the butter oil will probably be tolerated just fine if the allergy isn't extreme. I can't...
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
This site has great info. on it : http://www.beyondveg.com/ but I do think there is some stuff from Cordain on it. I read that book too, and while I agree with the concept (and follow a paleo diet myself) I thought a lot of his specific dietary advice was crap. I guess my diet is just bits and pieces of different views that I have felt made the most sense based on our evolution, geography and the seasons.
I fry my onions and ground beef/hamburgers in bacon fat. If I had some I'd use lard or tallow. If your going to fry in butter it's best to make ghee out of it first which raises the burning point of the butter. I usually use ghee for cooking eggs, for taste reasons. I don't use CO, but I'm sure someone else will post about that.
There is a very old time technique of cooking pasta in very small amounts of water (or you would use stock). Just add the pasta to your pan and cook on maybe a medium heat adding a 1/4-1/2 cup of liquid at a time, stirring regularly. Just like a risotto. You want the liquid to just be almost completely absorbed before you add the next bit. I don't eat wheat any more, but I had found this to be faster than the traditional boiling method (but you have to be there to stir)...
I'm replying without reading most of the responses because I'm pressed for time, so please forgive me if I repeat things that have already been said.... I would really suggest the book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome". She has fantastic advice for healing the gut. There is also a book called "The Food Allergy Cure" which you probably don't need to read, but the idea in it is that if you eat a very healthy diet your body temperature raises and this somehow gets rid of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by mbravebird CrunchyFarmGirl, I love your info, in general and this post, too. What a great site that is! I'm glad you found it helpful, and thanks- you made my day
You can check foods at nutritiondata.com. You make a pantry of all the foods you eat and can find out how much of every vitamin and mineral are in those foods as well as your whole day's worth of foods. I find that on a paleo diet I'm consuming a perfect 1:1 calcium/magnesium ratio as well as 8:1 zinc to copper. I think the magnesium is mostly from my meats.