or Connect

Posts by dogretro

I really really don't like to let licensed anything into our house. That said, we have made two trips to Sesame Place, so we have lots of stuffed Sesame friends and a couple of character shirts. That's been it thus far. I can see it being something I will give into more as they age b/c I can't, and don't want to, control everything. Most characters out there, they have no idea who they are yet. We don't watch much tv nor go to the toy store much. DD1 is now getting into...
DD1 (4) hates having her finger and toe nails cut so much that I just gave up about a year ago. They reached a certain length and then all broke off really short. I have no idea how it works, but her fingernails are all still really short, it's awesome! She gets hangnails that she won't let me touch, but it's only a pet peeve of mine. She does not always like to get into the bath, but loves being in there. "Take a bath" is on her chore chart now, so it's a non-issue. No...
I, too, live in PA and there was no testing or assessment to get dd1 into the local HS preschool. Our city schools offer free full-time preschool, some of which are HS, some of which are Pre-K Counts, and some of which are other. I picked the one I did b/c it is the closest to my house. I did not realize it was HS and she was waitlisted due to it being "full" even though they had told me there were "several" slots. I called after receiving that letter and they told me it...
It's not new or creative by any means, but we have recently started a chore chart with our oldest, who is four. We started b/c she has major behavior problems and this thing has been the only thing that has actually gotten her to listen and participate. Her daily reward is getting to watch a tv show (we are v tv limited). Seven items per day. If she gets all her magnets for the whole week, she gets to pick a movie to watch. She LOVES it. This is a kid for whom getting...
  Sounds good to me. It acknowledges both sides and the other mom can choose to respond or not.
Hmm. As the parent of an easy-to-flip-out kid, I say it would depend. Helpful, right? If my child had problems every single time, I would plan v short playdates. Like, one or two hours, max. I would let the other mom(s) know that ahead of time and tell them that dd could not handle anything longer. Nothing I could really do to change dd's temperament or attitude, kwim? So, two hours at the play place, and we go home. That was lots of fun, see you next time! Then, even if...
I recommend the book The Explosive Child. Your child does not have to be anywhere near explosive, violent, or argumentative to benefit from the author's approach of collaborative problem solving. DH and I have an oppositional child who is not at the level yet of being able to participate much in cps. What has worked is to be consistent in how we handle things, at all times. We are easy-going, not many rules, avoid punishments, etc. I keep in mind that I am raising future...
I, too, had an easy (scheduled) c-section. I was unhappy about it for personal reasons, but the physical stuff was not that bad. I felt that recovery from my vbac was just as painful, only in different ways. I did not think the procedure itself, nor the recovery, were bad.   I am very glad that we are able to talk about the benefits of c-section on Mothering now. I always felt v shut out in this area b/c of my good experience. I would never want to deny anyone a...
If my husband vocalized with me, he probably would have been kicked out since I was screaming my lungs out, lol! I ended up taking the gown off b/c I felt hot and it was hanging in my way. The baby was not the only buck-ass naked person in the room when she was born :) And this was all in a regular hospital in the middle of our city :)   Have the two of you, together, done the labor and delivery hospital tour? It sounds, to me, that your husband is scared that it is...
We did a bead swap in dd2's DDC group and I loved it! I kept them in a little decorative bowl while I was pg and looked at them every day w/ excitement. They are now in a little gauze bag in the place where I store all of her birthday cards :) IDK that I would do a flag swap b/c I don't know what I would do, but I would happily participate in a bead swap.