or Connect

Posts by dogretro

LOVE pacifiers over here! Started both of my kidlets with them the day they were born. Mainly for the reasons Amanda said: Yup, they "could have" sucked on my nipple or finger, but I don't want to be a human pacifier. I would like for dh to be able to snuggle them to sleep or for them to sleep somewhere other than on me. I do not like the feel of comfort nursing. Some babies also have a high sucking need. The only negative thing a midwife said was that binkie use could...
Sometimes when you've got one that is a real challenge and one that is not, it just overflows out of your mouth whether you want it to or not. Dealing with a challenging child day in and day out takes its toll. Sometimes it's a starting point so that others know where you are coming from. I don't go on and on *in front of* my kids, no. However, I do have one who is quite difficult to parent and one who thanks me when I change her poopy diaper. Jokingly referring to the...
In our house, 8.30 would be considered obscenely early, haha. Our kiddos have always gone to bed at 10 or later b/c I like to sleep in. They currently wake up between 8 & 9 am. 7 is waaaaaay too early for me to do every day. The 2yrold sometimes skips her nap, but generally takes a looong nap (2-3 hours). 4yrold takes an occasional nap. Like pp said, if your system is working, leave it alone! Don't worry if it seems "too early" or "too late". You and your lo know what is...
I found this forum yesterday or the day before & it is active. It's for conduct disorders of all types, including adhd and asd. Pretty much for anyone w/ a challenging child haha. Just reading the young children section helped me b/c there are a lot of experienced parents on there. http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/f4/   Are you a part of any local mom's groups? In my one that meets face-to-face regularly, I'm in the minority as far as the challenges go. In my...
  I completely agree with this. What was wrong with Shortcake and her friends being ragamuffins? That was part of the fun! As for My Little Pony (my FAVORITES!) I do know for a fact that whoever owns them (Mattel?) sold the original molds years ago, so even if they wanted to make them look the same, they wouldn't look *exactly* the same. I hate that so many of our toys are now giant head/giant eyes. Gross. We don't buy any of it.. Yet *sigh* I have a whole giant bin of my...
For us, when a playdate is scheduled, it's set. A group date, that's different, could come or go, but one-on-one is a date. I am often a bit late, but people know this and lots of others do it, too, so it's no biggie. I would not cancel last minute unless I couldn't start the car. If I were running terribly late, like 30 mins, I would call to let them know, but I would still go. I cannot tell DD1 that a friend might be coming until right before they come b/c she does not...
OMG, NO GLITTER! lol   My kiddos are 4 & 2 and both cut paper w/out supervision. The 2yrold actually taught herself how to use scissors b/c she didn't like me teaching her :p She cuts really well for her age, too! Her obsession w/ cutting every day lasted for a few weeks and then went away. They have unrestricted access to their own scissors and are not allowed to use the grown-up scissors, esp since some are kitchen scissors. They have both pinched their fingers w/...
The last fp class we attended, the presenter, who was a therapist, had a real issue with RAD diagnosis, which was really interesting. She said she does not diagnose RAD, she says it's all Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. I asked her some about it and I thought it really made sense. A person *may* have RAD, but not necessarily. They "just" may have been traumatized and acting out on those feelings. So, maybe look into someone who treats kids for PTSD.   My own v young...
We take a lot of breaks because we keep having biological children! We are currently on a 2 - 4 year break, until this about-to-be baby is between the ages of 2 & 4. I let our cw know once I'm pg & he puts us on "no vacancy" until we are ready again. We did respite for another mom earlier this summer. She was flying across the country to visit some relatives and, while she would have had no problem taking her dfd, since dfd was 1, it meant buy her a plane ticket or have...
I agree with everything you said. That is exactly what bothers me about kid movies.