or Connect

Posts by dogretro

I've got two late-April kids and I would never DREAM of keeping them out an extra year, regardless of where I lived. I completely understand it when your child is days away from the cut-off, but MONTHS? Sorry if I offend, but that's insane. Our district's cut-off is Sept 30. My kids would be 5 yrs & 5 months by that time. That is more than ready for kindy. I am currently gestating an October baby. This was one of the many reasons why fall birthdays make me twitchy :)
The point is that the list is NOT limited to only unhealthy items. Fruit and veg (whole or prepackaged) is allowed. Send a banana or an apple, discussion over.
Did this with both of my kiddos and they both learned not to touch things that weren't theirs, no problems. Even my oppositional one will not touch if I say, "That's Daddy's." We used personal possession a lot to define boundaries. It has helped w/ sibling relations, too. I think a lot of the "don't say no" stuff really underestimates children. I'm not going to walk around and say it all day, we set them up for success and redirect positively, but to assume that a young...
This article was just on Yahoo! this morning: http://news.yahoo.com/u-whooping-cough-outbreak-could-worst-half-century-051355523.html   The other week, I was afraid my kids had come down w/ pertussis, but they hadn't. Only one developed a cough that went away on it's own w/in a week. The scary thing I learned about pertussis is that those who are vaccinated can still get it, it just won't be as severe a case as someone who is unvaccinated. During the first two weeks...
X-rays before 12 weeks are not "very dangerous" to a baby. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/x-ray-during-pregnancy/AN02058 The radiation in a dental x-ray is like going outside, less actually. It's true that waiting until after the first trimester is best, but not always avoidable. I had a root canal done on a v painful tooth at 8 or 9 weeks. I was waiting until later to fix it when it flared up horribly. Waiting 3-4 more weeks may have been possible, but I weighed the...
I'm due for a second vbac in October, & while I cannot speak for other ladies, I don't really consider it a second vbac, it's a vaginal birth. I already had my vbac, time to move on!
Here's the thing: You do not know for a fact that you will not go into labor past 42 weeks. You have no idea when you will go into labor. If you are not willing to schedule an induction or rcs before 42 weeks, then don't. You don't have to schedule it right this minute, do you? If not, deal with what comes when it comes. You may give birth at 38 weeks, you never know.
Nope, not if they are eating and drinking. I wean my kids at around 15 months & give them some Pediasure mixed with cow's milk to get them used to the taste of regular milk. They get weaned off of this in about a month and move on to just plain milk in a bottle once or twice per day for a while. The rest of the day, they always have access to water in a sippy cup.   Redmom, I absolutely see your point. I look at things like Pediasure and toddler formula as tools that...
VBACFacts is a VERY comprehensive website about everything you could ever want to know about vbacs. This is their page on vbac vs rcs: http://vbacfacts.com/vbac/   For me, there was never a doubt, I was going for a vbac, and it was successful. I did only have a single suture row & it ended up not mattering for me. I will be having another vbac in October. FWIW, a few things: If you do want more kids, your chance of rupture DROPS after your first successful...
Hansi, I did end up w/ a scheduled c/s with dd1. I was planning a birth center birth, but they won't do breeches. In the four years that have since passed, I have discovered two local drs and a few homebirth mw's who will attend vaginal breeches. At the time, though, I had no other options :(   Jess, that chair is hilarious! I can sit on my ball for only so long before it becomes uncomfortable, so I keep it right by the computer and switch it and the chair around. I...