or Connect

Posts by dogretro

Sillymom, you are correct, 6 weeks is the recommendation. Like every other ding dong thing, every nursing pair is different and some are perfectly fine introducing a bottle earlier and some are not ready yet at six weeks. We never know until they are out and latched on. Hopefully, it goes swimmingly for all of us!
A lot of breeches, there is no discovered reason, it just is. Some have obvious reasons, some do not. DD1 was breech from 22 weeks on. There should have been plenty of room for a 30-week-old baby to flip (I'm 5'9"), but she never did. During the external version, they could not get her legs to clear my pelvis (she was in lotus position). That was 36 or 37 weeks. DD2 was 8lbs and I vaginally birthed her w/ no space problems. So, dunno! All of the reasons suggested make...
Two-piece, yes, bikini, no. By two-piece I mean a tankini (NOT a halter top style bikini) or a shirt with bottoms. In the US, many chain stores routinely carry the shirt/bottom style for girls now, even in toddlers. I don't wear a one-piece myself, but I was not allowed to have a halter style bikini until 10 or 11 & I see no problem w/ that whatsoever. I prefer some modesty for my girls and I do not see how a bikini of any kind is remotely modest.
Read the book "It's No Accident" by Steve J. Hodges. He is a pediatric urologist and he definitely blames constipation as the main reason kids have toileting troubles. The very most interesting thing I learned from this book was the following: Constipation in children looks different than it does in adults. What we would consider to be healthy "logs" is actually constipation. Having large bms is also a sign of constipation. Even pooping every day means nothing b/c the...
I have a 4-yr-old who rages and viciously verbally fights us. Hits us, too. Am reading "The Explosive Child" and it is good so far. It's about the "how to" of working with them instead of doing to them. Our daughter has been like this since turning three, so unless it's precocious puberty, I doubt it's pre-puberty, *for her*. She also has diagnosed anxiety and sensory problems. Rewards and punishments do not work for her one bit. Our other daughter is not like this at...
Tsk, I cannot find any sources to back up my claim! I know I read it somewhere, maybe that is just what I have gotten from reading so much about the ball opening your pelvis and helping to get the baby lower. So, *for me*, I avoided it (and would again) when my baby was breech. With my second baby, since it was going to be my first labor and vaginal birth, I sat on it a lot to encourage good baby positioning. I had zero back labor & dd2 presented "correctly".
Vegan, yup, almost never had to use cream w/ dd1 & I made her wipe solution that contained Dr Bronner's. DD2 came, and that was a whole new ballpark! I agree, I HATE touching lotions, it's stick whenever possible! We use Original Sprout shampoo & that can be body wash, too. California Baby unscented lotion is, hands down, one of the best lotions I've ever come across. I'm talking it even wards off eczema flare-ups good. My kids don't need lotion, but one of our foster...
Honey Chunks for wipe mix. Buy the bar soap and cut it up yourself; it's the same formula and costs way less. I used to make my own, but dd2 has skin that is more sensitive than dd1, so had to stop. For cream, cuz dd2 uses a lot, still at age two. We use Northern Essence: Their  regular stick for regular prevention & their Better Butter Cream for mild ammonia burn. For stronger ammonia burn, we use the natural version of commercial Butt Paste (green tube). DD2 is really...
If you are going back to work, I would not wait to introduce. Both of mine would take an occasional bottle when they were tiny, but quickly outgrew that and refused. I started maybe during week two? Breastfeeding was easy w/ both of them, so wait and see if you have problems there, first, imo. Also, pumping right from the get-go and storing milk in your freezer will help you A LOT come time for work. I make a lot of milk in the beginning and that tapers off. If you can...
This one is highly recommended: http://www.happybabycompany.com/mimijumi-bottle_p_732.html Annoyingly, it is plastic, but the top is supposed to closely mimic a breast in that it allows the baby to smush its face in and the shorter nipple won't gag baby.