or Connect

Posts by dogretro

Hansigurumi, certified nurse midwives are perfectly legal in PA. Lay midwives, not so much. One of my old CNMs told me that her practice "would love" to do homebirths, but they cannot due to staffing (they must staff a birth center and a hospital). A birth professional has malpractice insurance to cover them, lay midwives do not. If something were to go wrong, a lay midwife's profession and family could be ruined. Theoretically, even a doula attending a UC here could be...
Take pictures of the bruises every time. When he comes over, take his clothes off, examine him, check his teeth. What has your husband done so far about this? Talk to the baby's pediatrician & take him in some time the day mom drops him off, or take him straight to the ER. Make sure your husband goes, too. Explain to the staff that you *suspect* the mom is abusing him, you want a full physical & you want it documented. The thing is, kids get bruised and injured a lot,...
Love the Keyfit. It's so true, all others are inferior :(
We do vaccinate and I would NOT get a vaccine while pregnant. Pregnancy is a temporary condition, a vaccine can wait until it's over, even immediately after it's over. Unless there was some kind of zombie-like flue epidemic, then I would get that flu vaccine. Otherwise, I'm just not comfortable w/ the idea AT ALL. I still need to get my chicken pox vaccine. I never got the boosters and have no desire to contract that as an adult.   IDK about toxins and breastfeeding,...
  Yes, these are truly the kind of folks that exist everywhere w/ regards to homebirth. I would say that negativity is the overwhelming opinion and you are v blessed to be in such a positive environment! My own state does not even make it legal for lay midwives to attend homebirths. The midwives refer to it as a-legal, which means no cops are going to barge in during the birth, but if something went wrong, they could be prosecuted whether or not that is what dh and I...
Yup, it totally sucks. This is precisely why my other kids were spring babies :p We have one window unit that does pretty well w/ cooling the first floor. Mostly staying inside and going out swimming with friends or to the spray park. We just spent the whole day today at a local state park that has a beach swimming area & shade, yay!   I grew up w/out central air & don't run the a/c much, but being pg makes me run hotter than usual, so I have completely wilted.
  You can't, esp if this is your first child. They will point out every other family who take their newborns out willy-nilly without assuming dire consequences. My mom was at the hospital when dd1 was born. She would have DIED if I had told her that she couldn't see dd1 for months b/c she *might* get her ill. DH goes to work every day, he might get us ill, but he cannot stop working. We talked about him getting the H1N1 vaccine two years ago to protect us while I was pg &...
He looks lovely, thank you for sharing a picture with us! 
I have heard that the reason adults are told to get pertussis boosters IS to protect babies who are too young to get it. I got my booster when dd1 was born. We do vaccinate on schedule, only turning down MMR, chickenpox, and flu. MMR they will get when older. We will still be leading our usual lives, fall/winter baby or not. I don't want my baby getting sick, but I will be breastfeeding and neither of my other two go to school, so staying home would mean isolation for...
I had my vbac in 2010 and had a single row. I'm doing another vbac (how silly, I already had my vbac, this is just a vaginal birth e_e ) this year & no one has said anything. I wouldn't listen anyhow, my uterus has already proven itself :p