or Connect

Posts by dogretro

The trick to eating Concords off the vine is as follows: Pinch the grape between your finger and thumb so that it pops out of its skin. Pop just the inside into your mouth and swallow without chewing. Toss the skin aside. Super sweet, nothing bitter :)
My first daughter was breech from 22 weeks until birth, with a brief interlude in the middle as transverse. We tried *everything* to get her to turn, including a version. I was totally okay w/ the version b/c then I could say that I had indeed tried every single thing I could have to get her to turn and have my awesome birth center birth. Needless to say, the version was a failure. She was in lotus position & they could not get her legs to clear my pelvis. The procedure...
I agree, I would not worry about it esp since he is so enamored with the pencils. I'd rather see the hours of drawing than make sure he was using the "correct" instruments!   Our daughters use the block crayons (ages 4 & 2) largely b/c if you drop a stick beeswax crayon on the wooden floor, it breaks! This happened three times & I put them away! The girls also pretend the block crayons are other things, too, which is funny. At our Morning Garden, they are offered...
Wool covers are absolutely wonderful if you use a fitted diaper under them, especially for babies who are not yet eating solids. I have already bought several pairs of nb/small longies (used from Diaper Swappers) and am going to also knit at least one pair. I need more tiny fitteds, I'll see what I can scavenge/borrow when the time comes. I plan to mostly dress this baby in: a tank-style undershirt, long-sleeved white shirt, and a pair of longies. That will be the bulk...
Cut up flannel, did not sew edges. They fray pretty badly at first, but once that stops, they are good for a looooong time (four years of constant use and going over here!). Our second was sensitive to homemade solution, so I started using regular Honey Chunks. Their bar soap is the exact same mixture as the chunks and way cheaper. Two bars lasts us a whole year! I like the convenience rather than mixing my own solution now :)
One vaginal birth and my water broke while I was pushing.
  I think there is a lot of accuracy to this statement. Watch a few episodes of Hoarders (it's available on netflix streaming) and you will see a lot of the same themes running for the adults. They have said, and so have the Nanny shows, that when parents who have a hard time letting go of things, it affects the children in a similar manner. Even though our family *tries* to not have tons of stuff, we still do :/ We have less toys than the average family, but still, what...
I would keep some and get rid of the rest. I really pared down what the kids have available downstairs and keep the rest in the attic. Then I rotate them out. I try and keep no more than 10 total downstairs, but that gets to be rather challenging. I could not rely solely on the library for two reasons: we do not go often enough and my kids LOVE to look at books and will sit for a long time by themselves, ahhhhhh!   Esp for babies and young toddlers, having their own...
We are not finding out. My husband always wants to find out, but I get the heavier vote :) We did not find out w/ dd1 & that was fun since she was our first & I did not want a lot of gendered nb clothing, etc. Were hoping for a boy and totally did not care at her birth. Were thrilled that she was a girl, it felt so perfect to me. With dd2 we did find out. Again, wanted a boy, just had to know! It was a shock for dh, but it instantly bonded me to dd2. Did not help for...
Honestly, and I LOVE Waldorf, I, too, would be heavily questioning this possible transition were I in your shoes. As soon as you said you are worried you would not be able to pay tuition for the next four years, that sent up a huge red flag to me. If your daughter could progress to fifth grade in W, that would be just fine w/ me, but going back a grade only for the sake of the next four-five years, hmm..  If she stayed in public, she would go to high school in four...