or Connect

Posts by Just1More

We have a fearful dd, too, also almost 6.  We try to limit what she hears, and also to be careful about the time of day we present something.  If she has the day to process tough information, she is much better off than at bedtime.  Also, she is so much more emotional in the evenings.   We don't even use the word "sad" after dinnertime!  (Though she is getting better about that.)   I have explained and encouraged and comforted lots and lots of times.  But, while...
The developmental lists for children say that "average" children will be doing x, y, and z.  Does average mean the same thing that 50th percentile means?  That out of a hundred children, the one in the middle of the curve will be doing these things?  What is the range of typical?   Then, further, when I look at Ruf's list for gifted children, I see that Level 3, for example, is reserved for 1 out of 100 children.  In your opinion/experience, is that accurate?    
Do you want to borrow my dh?  He thinks this is so dumb, and he'd just go through the roof if it were us in this scenerio.  :)
All those splotchy babies just look like babies to me, lol!  I don't think I've seen many babies without some red marks here and there.  To me, it's part of the squishy newness of a baby, and mark of how tiny they still are!    My kids have all faded quite a bit, too.  I don't notice anyone's anymore...except the baby's.  She, actually, has way more than the others.  Her cord was wrapped tightly around her body twice, and where her cord was she has huge deep...
You also said it didn't seem to be mood related, but first thing in the morning, it could take a while to get blood sugar evened out from a night of not eating.  Afternoons, at least at our house, tend to be another longer gap between eating.  Are her snacks protein based? 
Wow.  You sure have been through a lot!  It sounds like you are doing an awesome job trying to help your little girl.  I am impressed that you are being so observant and working so hard at this.  She has an awesome Mama!   You said that first thing in the morning, and then later in the evening, she has the hardest time.  Is it possible she needs more daylight?  Some people with mood disorders struggle without enough natural light.  Therapy can involve changing to...
Have you tried ground flax?  I hear it works wonders.  You can just sprinke it on toast or in oatmeal or whatever.
licking people?  that's hilarious! (and what had MY three year old ds giggling and giggling last night....)   My kids, who are 6, 3, 2, and new are really enjoying Rough Science.  You can find episodes on pbs.com or netflix.  They kind of have an idea of how it works, and I have started setting them up with their own challeneges.  My 3yo proudly announced to dh, "And I'm the guy who delivers the food!" one night.   So, I have, for the time, confiscated most of...
Oh, this is so dumb.  I could go on and on about people stepping in too much into other people's lives.  How did they get the coat on her?  What on earth did they say to YOUR CHILD?  Where was her other coat during all this? (The one she wanted to be wearing?)   If I asked my child which coat they wanted, and they had a favorite, and it wasn't that cold, they could wear whatever they wanted.  In fact, depending on the cicumstances, my kid might HAVE to wear that...
Beatrix Potter?  Or Virginia Burton?  Or McCloskey?  A.A.Milne?   Also, check out the Five in a Row booklists, or amblesideonline.org (maybe .com?) for their booklists.   I wouldn't insist on reading all the words right now. I tended to tell a shorter version of what I was reading to them, and slowly added more words.  Eventually, they were listening to longer and longer stories.  I also change the vocab and sentence structure to help them understand sometimes.