or Connect

Posts by mountain mom

I am in the large city to the south of you. There are many ways to contribute to the homeless population without directly giving money to panhandlers. The coat drive is the one that I always try to donate to. Imagine living on the street in -40 Celcius weather without a jacket. That would be awful! Dangerous! There are several organizations here that regularly ask for donations of coats. I also contribute to the food bank and to the Mustard Seed. The Mustard Seed...
Quote: Originally Posted by momileigh I only think it is smug to say "happy to help" before you have any idea if what you said was helpful. Like if someone posts, "how can I get my baby to sleep better?" And you're all, "Just swaddle her! Happy to help!" Well what if they had already tried that? Or even worse, "Just let her cry for a while, happy to help!" Ugh! Smug! (and inappropriate.) But if you write some advice, and someone replies, "Oh,...
Is Happy to Help really that smug? I always thought it was hope that helps but Happy to Help is also a nice sentiment in my books. The person was happy to help! :
Quote: Originally Posted by hipcoolmama Canada's system sounds pretty similar to the health insurance packages we've gotten or been offered through various jobs in the U.S. ...not exactly but similar. Without getting into the politics, I just wanted to say it's too bad all children, women, and men in the U.S. can't have this model as a default in the absense of any health insurance they can get elsewhere! In Canada we absorb the cost of...
Quote: Originally Posted by hipcoolmama Canada has universal healthcare free for all, no? Are there co-pays and such? The cost of our healthcare in Alberta is $1056.00 per year for a family of 2 adults + children (1 or more). Thats $88.00 per month. However a family will qualify for a partial to full subsidy if their income is lower than 34,000 per year. Full subsidy quicks in at 25,000 I think. As well there is a waiver program if your income...
The thing with the phone number change. I read that BG has yet to clearly state that she wished to end the friendship. She has told the woman she is too busy right now for the friendship. That leaves a window open. I wonder if she was to just clearly state her intention of wanted to end the relationship that this women would get it, finally. Some people don't know bounderies and obviously this is a woman that doesn't. Set a boundery and make it very clear. I just don't...
One more tip, don't judge or criticize her while you tell her you no longer want to continue the friendship. Just focus on the fact that you are making the decision based on the best choice for your family. What she does in her life is her choice. You can choose not to be a part of it and she can't say jack!
Chances are if you are straight up with her and tell her you no longer wish to continue the friendship she will distance herself. Why would she continue to call if you have made it clear you no longer want her to? Stop avoiding her and just tell her. You will feel so much better once you do.
Next time she calls, pick up the phone and calmly say "please don't call or come by anymore". If she asks why? Say, It is a decision I have made that benefits myself and my family. Thank you and take care." If she doesn't understand and keeps calling have someone else step in and tell her on your behalf. Be brief yet vague and unemotional. Don't be afraid. It is within your capability to choose whom you would like to spend time with. Just take a deep breath and do...
Kathryn! I am so happy for you and your family. Welcome to the babes. Much strength and love to you. May your babymoon be super awesome and filled with laughter and light. Amazing!