or Connect

Posts by ekh

Mine are 17 months apart and they love each other. They play together all day long and really get along so well, most of the time.  I was so concerned that I would be disadvantaging the older one by not giving her my undivided attention for 2 1/2 - 3 years, but, if anything, she's  benefited so much more from having a constant playmate. There is no rivalry. The first year was hard (but I was back at work almost immediately after number 2). Now, though, it's pretty...
Thanks for the reply! I actually like bugs.We checked out a bug video from the library recently and we've talked about how we need bugs, etc. We've coincidentally also been reading Charlotte's Web recently!  I've modeled scooping them up and putting them back outside. I'm really not sure where the fear came from, maybe school?  When she had the bug nightmare, we talked about what color the bug was, that is was a friendly bug, etc, but she wasn't buying it. Ditto with...
My normally chill 2 1/2 year old has had several panicky sessions this week. Today, she had an inch worm on her in the car and was very scared by it. This afternoon, though there was no bug on her, she was screaming (really yelling) pretty steadily for about 30 minutes, clawing at her skin, shaking, totally panicked, thinking that there was another inchworm on her body. It took her about 1 1/2 hours to calm down, with repeated panicky sessions. She basically totally lost...
I used the Cares thingy this past summer for my 3 year old, and I plan to use it again next summer. For me, it made travel SO MUCH easier. We had a car seat at our destination, and I didn't have to lug TWO car seats in addition to all our carry on luggage while trying to keep up with both kids. It probably saved my sanity. It's really easy to use and convenient. I'm sure it's not as safe as a car seat, but if we crash in the North Atlantic, I don't think any car seat...
Thank you everyone. I don't think that my girls need their hair washed every day, but it's just going to be a rule that their hair be washed every Sunday, after they are in the pool. My husband is German and they certainly don't bathe there as often as we do, so that's the source of this disagreement.  My children are in the bath several times a week (at least the younger one is, the older one has been avoiding it, so I need to make sure it's happening...). My...
How often should children's hair be washed/how often should they bathe?  Every day? Once a week? Twice a week? Twice a month?    My kids are in the pool once a week and I wash their hair once a week. One kid loves to splash in the tub, the other hates it, and they both hate having their hair washed.  My husband thinks that pool time is sufficient bathing, and that I'm going WAY overboard with the hair washing. I think once a week is the minimum...
This sounds like a bit of a cultural thing to me. I'm American and my husband is German. He's SHOCKED, often, by the crap (and, more specifically, by the quantity of crap) my parents give our kids. I'm not a battle fighter, and he isn't going to say anything to my parents (thankfully) so the plastic just finds its way up to the attic. It reappears occasionally when kids are sick, or the weather is awful, as a novelty thing.   
My husband and I have taken our daughters to Germany for two summers running, now. The first time, they were 2 1/4 and 9 months. The second time, they were 3 1/4 and 21 months.  Our 2nd trip was quite stressful for me and for my older daughter, for several reasons. First, my husband was sick and couldn't really help me much, so I was kind of "on my own" with his parents. I do speak their language quite well and am no stranger to their culture, but they found fault with...
Hi, we're not in Halle, but we visit there in the summer always. It's my husband's hometown.  If the weather is decent, definitely check out the Peissnitz (a big park). They have children's theatre, concerts, playgrounds, etc.  In summer, there is the Wasserspielplatz and the lake, the Heidesee in Nietleben. The Heide forest is great for walking and there are playgrounds everywhere. 
I work 7 to 3:30 M-F. I also work at home on Saturday or Sunday for about 4-6 hours to prepare for the week ahead. (I'm a teacher.)