or Connect

Posts by jennchsm

Quote: Originally Posted by Oriole My point is... no vacation I could have taken would substitute my siblings that I have by my side for a lifetime. I know I'm taking this remark out of context, but ever since I read it, it's been bugging me. No one is suggesting that a human life and a vacation are somehow equivalent here, but that's the implication in this statement. I didn't really have much of a choice about how many children I'd get...
This was something we struggled with for a long time. It took 6 years and lots of medical procedures to conceive our son. I struggled with depression during those years, and it hurt my marriage and my career. Once I was finally pregnant, I thought the hard part was behind me, but I developed severe pre-eclampsia and he was delivered at 29 weeks. My illness was discovered accidentally, and but for chance he and I could both have died. Instead we both survived, and...
DS (a 29 weeker) walked at 16.5 months, 14 months adjusted. That was a full month before his FT cousin who was born a few days after his due date, so I never really worried. :-)
Quote: Originally Posted by Harmony08 After a lot of research, talking with others, and some experience, I sort of realized that sometimes they just have to get frustrated, have tantrums, etc. ... My understanding from UP is that we don't have to eliminate all struggles but honor their feelings about them. Yes, this. My son just turned 2, and I feel like I'm finally at a place where I can see his tantrums for what they are, a normal part of...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamaluvs I too currently reading Kohn's book and it really is resonating in my heart. ... I have doubts about UP though. Like, I constantly feel like it is just not practical to use with a 2 year old. I can explain, explain, explain to her but she doesn't always have the capacity to get it- so I'm still forced to impose my will on her or I feel like I'm just giving in. I totally feel like this could lead to her having all...
My son (a 29 weeker who is now 23 months old) hates loud noises and hissing sounds. He is incredibly disturbed by machines like vacuum cleaners, blenders, and hair dryers. He talks a lot about things that are "loud", many of which aren't actually that loud at all, but sort of hissing or continuous in nature. I can't help but wonder if he is reminded of the sounds of machinery in the NICU when he hears those "loud" things. I've often wondered what the legacy of his...
Harmony, thanks so much for that aweosme post! I C&P'd it to a file too! Would you mind if I pass that on (with credit, of course)?
I'm currently reading "Parenting for a Peaceful World" and find it very much in line with UP so far. Has anyone else read it? Has it helped you refine your ideas about how to implement UP?
Quote: Originally Posted by Devaya I spent the weekend at a friend's, she also has a 2 year old, and her friend with a 6 yr old and 21 month old were staying there too. It was SO interesting b/c they are all very controlling and punitive, and the whole weekend guess who had the most tantrums, battles and struggles (necessitating MORE control, then MORE tantrums): the kids who were being parented that way. My son, despite being not in his home and in a...
Quote: Originally Posted by joanna0707 I usually study in the evening when DS is asleep, how and when will I do that if he stays up 'till 10 PM? Need to figure that out. I have the same problem, actually. I teach at a university and have a new course this semester, so I am pretty much spending all of DS's naps working. Sometimes I'm not ready for the next day's class and have hours of work to do before I go to bed, and when DS is still awake...