or Connect

Posts by Nurturing Mama

Quote: Originally Posted by Boobs Well it's not quite the same as breathing and pooping when your child is picky. I agree. Saying that a kid is a good eater doesn't seem strange to me at all, although I can see how it may seem strange to someone whose kid eats a couple of bites of food fairly frequently. My kid doesn't really like to eat, and he never has. He's four, and he might eat literally only five bites of food per day for several days...
My husband sometimes forgets to be a gentle parent when he's aggravated, too. He agrees with gentle discipline, but when our son isn't behaving well, it starts to feel (to my husband) like gentle discipline isn't working, and we need to be more firm. I always step in and stick up for my son, but I try to be gentle and leave everybody's dignity intact. I guess I try to GD my husband, as in, "Honey, I know it's really frustrating when he doesn't do what you ask him to,...
This thread is so funny. I can't think of any to add, but I had to point this out: Quote: Originally Posted by Viola just like you knew when DD meant dear diaper and when dd meant disposable diaper Dear diaper? I literally peed my pants!
My son loves cutting construction paper and gluing the pieces together with a glue stick. That's relatively neat and easy to clean up for when there is a lot going on. I like all of the links mentioned. There are a lot of good ideas there. We did something really cool yesterday at the rec. center. He painted two coffee filters, and after they dried, we pinched them together at the centers of the filters and wrapped a green chenille around them. It made a groovy...
Since I'm one of the people who said I wouldn't make a sandwich for somebody who just yelled at me, I want to clarify. I haven't really seen anyone advocating withholding the sandwich, although I may have missed it as I've skimmed parts of this thread. I would ask for a more polite request before I made the sandwich...this always works for my three year old. If that didn't work, I would expect an eight year old child to make the sandwich herself. If the kid wasn't...
It sounds like she hasn't really formed an attachment to her son yet. When my son was five days old, I still felt like I didn't really know him. Everything felt surreal. He was born in the hospital and I completely relied on the nurses to take care of him. It truly didn't feel like he was mine. Maybe she is having a similar struggle? At this point, the baby is already born by c-section, already circumcised, and already (probably) not going to be breastfed. All you...
I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. You're not a GD failure...it's just really, really difficult sometimes. I don't know if you're looking for advice or just needing to vent, so if you don't want advice, stop reading here... To me, "bad" behavior indicates a child who is feeling bad. Have you been able to identify why he may being feeling bad, and needing to act out? Food allergies? Stress? One thing that I do when my son is screaming at me and...
When my son was 13 months old, I was also looking for my happy, sensitive, independent toddler that Dr. Sears promised me. Actually I'm still looking. My son is 3 years and 9 months old, and he is just very recently starting to exhibit some signs of independence. He can finally go play in his cousin's basement to play while I sit in the living room, within hearing distance. I can finally go to the store while he stays at home with his dad. For us independence and...
I'm with Captain Crunchy. I feel like I'm my son's mother as well as his friend. I think it all depends on how we define "friend", though. There are different types of friends. I have close adult friends, casual adult friends, family member friends, my husband, my child, mentors, etc. All are friends in different capacities. Dictionary.com has five definitions for "friend": Quote: 1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts. 2. A person...
The biggest problem I have with institutionalized schooling is the amount of time that students are required to be passive, sitting in seats, not talking, having their education fed to them. I was an excellent student because I learned very young how to be passive, but that isn't a trait that most employers are looking for. You might mention to your husband that the same group setting that he thinks is beneficial requires a high level of passivity (at least for students...