or Connect

Posts by Nurturing Mama

Quote: Maybe she's too young!! You may be right about that. I was blown away at how my son never asked for his again, and I think he was ready. It sounds like your daughter may still need it, especially with your baby being only three months old, and requiring a ton of your time, not to mention that it is a huge adjustment for your daughter. If it were me, I would probably try to limit the pacifier use by taking it away after she falls asleep,...
We went through something similar, so I thought I would share my experience. My son had a really bad overbite that was caused by using his binky. It wasn't just an overbite, there was probably 1/2 inch of vertical space between his top front teeth and his bottom front teeth. He could stick his whole tongue through it. We took him to the dentist for that very reason and we were told the same thing that you were, that it was caused by the pacifier, and it most likely go...
I think you're doing fine. If he's not interested in the real reason for things happening, then I don't think I would try to force it on him, either. I'm sure he'll want to know the real reason eventually. In the meantime, it sounds like he's getting a lot of practice in critical thinking while he tries to figure out how things work on his own. Carrie
To the OP, I would have done exactly what you did by comforting my son and not responding to the lady yelling at you. I'm sorry that happened to your family. She should have been supervising him more closely, given his behavior, and she certainly shouldn't have yelled at you. I wouldn't have called the police, but if your husband was calling because he thought the child was alone in the store, I can understand that. Quote: I also have to wonder, if the OP...
I'm not a working mama, but I hope it's okay to offer my support here. It must feel crappy to be a working mother with securely attached children, and not be supported in your decision. I'm a SAHM, but I'm sad right along with all of you. Please remember that just because Mothering doesn't celebrate you in your decision to WOH, doesn't mean that you aren't making the right decision for you and your families (as I'm sure you all already know).
Stephanie, thanks for the input. I have been looking for other kids his age who will be homeschooled, but haven't had a lot of luck yet. I guess I need to try harder, and maybe even start a group of my own. You're right, exposing my son to other homeschooling families will definitely help counteract the "school is great" mentality. Carrie
Quote: I think "brainwash" is a bit dramatic. I'm sorry you find my word choice offensive. Is there a term you prefer I use? Quote: Most kids in this country go to an actual school, so there's an assumption being made, and yes, in some cases it will be a false one. Yes, exactly, and that is what I'm up against as a mother who intends to homeschool. That's a big part of what I'm struggling with. Quote: The...
Quote: Umm, more likely it's a stranger just trying to be nice to a little kid... Yes, of course they're trying to be nice, but the brainwashing effect is still there. It isn't the fault of the individual, it's a facet of our society, and one that I don't appreciate as I am planning to homeschool my son. I was only using a random stranger's comment as an example of the many, many ways that we run into the "school is wonderful" mindset in our daily...
What's odd to me is that a parent's decision to "force" a child to homeschool is questioned, as if homeschooling parents are doing their children a grave disservice, but no mention is made of all of the children who are being forced into public (or private, for that matter) schools. I certainly had no say in my education when I was a child, and come to think of it, I can't think of a single person who did. I'm the original poster, and now that I've thought about it...
That it's only supposed to take 50 minutes??