or Connect

Posts by Nurturing Mama

I think I know now why I have trouble making friends. : On the washing after the restroom thing (which I do , but only because my mother taught me to, and so nobody thinks I'm gross), why is this such a big deal? Am I the only person who can use the restroom and wipe without getting pee on my hands, or even touching the "gross" area? As for hand-washing, there are many reasons that somebody's hands may look dirty even when they are clean. I live in a factory...
My son and his cousins started eating sushi and sashimi at around 18 months to 2 years. We haven't had any problems with them getting sick from it. My MIL is Japanese and she said it was okay :LOL . I wish there were some type of guideline.
I agree with others that this is a sickening waste of resources. I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond and we had to throw things away that were still usable all of the time. The main reason that was always given by management for this waste was that the damaged merchandise could come back as a return and the store would exchange it for new merchandise (BB&B has a very lenient return policy), so the company would lose money. I think this type of waste is pretty common in...
Sorry, I don't know about that animation, but I HATE that e-mail. My dad sent it to me once, and I reminded him that he knew FOUR people in his childhood who lost an eye, and one who was killed when hit by a car. I really hate self-righteous, back in the good old '50s crap. Carrie
It sounds like your daughter understands that when she turns 4, she won't be using bottles anymore. I imagine the first couple of weeks might be rough, especially at bedtime, but I think if you prepare yourself mentally (be ready for some late nights, have a few ideas of what to do to ease the transition) that she will be fine. My story is about a binky, rather than a bottle, but the nighttime comfort is similar. My son had to stop using his binky because it was...
I'm not a mother of color, but I can tell you that white women frequently refer to other white women as sister. I didn't know "sister" was specific to black women.
Oh what I wouldn't do for a co-pay... We have no insurance available to us that we can afford.
Quote: I dont expect obedience from my children, just cooperation 90% of the time. However, I wouldn't allow disruptive behavior in public. Is it wrong to want your children to respect you and listen to you? I agree with you. I expect cooperation most of the time, and I also don't "allow" disruptive behavior in public ("allow" in quotes because sometimes it happens despite the fact that I don't allow it). I think the difference between gentle...
I agree with the previous posters. Obedience is not a quality that I want my son to have as an adult (see captain crunchy's post ). However, I often feel judged when my son isn't obeying me in public, so I try to avoid getting into situations where disobeying is an option. I can't think of a good example right now, and this is a new technique for me, so I still struggle with implementing it. Carrie
I have been thinking about this issue as well. My son is nearly three, and I also have public school teachers in my family. I haven't had the conversation, yet, but I think I will temper my real thoughts about public school a little when the issue does arise. I have thought about saying something like, "While we believe that public schools serve an important purpose in our society, we feel that homeschooling is best for our family. I realize that teachers face many...