or Connect

Posts by nathansmum

Quote: Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C I've been reading glossaries of kiwi vocabulary. That is going to take some getting used to. When we were looking at homes and prices, there were entire sentences that we could not make any sense of at all. And they are in english!!! LOL, like what?
I haven't noticed the teasing thing so much for ourselves, but then we home(un)school and it's not prevalent in our small group and haven't noticed it at playgrounds or my son's Keas (scouts) group. I'm sure it's out there, but I would think more of a school mentality from hearing of it through school friends. There certainly aren't a lot of homesteading/homeschoolers around I don't think - well, less choice for finding likeminded if that makes sense. Out of our small...
Quote: Originally Posted by tiffani on the topic of food, you'll find that when you go to a kiwi kids birthday party, there HAS to be fairy bread, which is white bread with butter and "100's and 1000's" (sprinkles) and bright pink cocktail sausages (called cheerios) and sausage rolls... compare that to the birthday parties in vancouver with the veggie trays and the sugarless spelt cake with goat cheese frosting, and you'll start to see a few of the...
There is a trainline that goes through the north island but it is just one main trunkline - so doesn't go beyond that line as far as I'm aware. There are a lot of tour busses though. with the self sufficiency, the people who I know who get pretty close to doing it also rely a lot on the local community they are within to trade with rather than doing it all themselves. some areas do get a drought over summer - up north being one of them (my in-laws live there)! As...
THanks for the review. I'll be stalking my letterbox over the next few days (I'm in New Zealand) lol.
Same as Jade, I've lived here my whole life but have no idea on how to convert living costs to any other country sorry. Re buying rural land - I can't be sure, but I know friends who immigrated from Australia weren't legally allowed to buy land in certain areas due to it being kept for NZ citizens only, so one thing to consider (I didn't know anything about that myself until she mentioned it). Depending on where you settle, public transport is an option - just...
Jess, that's good to know because I have it on order.
Just came on to see if anyone had posted this article. I read it a few days back and it really resonated with me and I've posted it as a facebook update to inform my friends and family who don't quite know what i've really been up to in the past few years when it may appear that I am a Betty Draper wasting away at home (not that I know who she is lol, but can make a guess) yet here I am embracing my SAHMing in a powerful productive way.
My ds detached his around the same age. Just through fiddling I think. No one had ever tried to retract it and we'd never emphasised it needing to be done or whatever. He just showed me one day. He is now almost 7 and we've only ever told him to give it a swish around in the bathwater (when we remember), otherwise, I figure just being in the water is enough to keep it clean at this stage? I come from a country where circumcision is not common, so all we're told about is...
My almost 7yr old still needs to say his little ditty to himself to help recall which is which (b = bat and ball and d = divers face with a mask then up for the snorkel and down). Quote: Even as she says it she knows its wrong usually and will look at me with a sort of questioning expression on her face? Most of the time I just have to say, is that a D? And she'll say, "Oh, no. I mean be." In regards to the above...I would think that she's...