or Connect

Posts by jmarroq

If it makes you feel any better, my son had all the vaccinations. He was born in 2002, so probably not as many vaccines as babies born today, but still a lot. In any case, he got croup pretty bad. He stopped breathing, and we took him to the ER. So, vaccinated or not, you can get croup. He always got croup after that. He hasn't had it in a couple of years but he is 10 now. He has asthma now. I think his troubles all began when he had RSV as an infant. He may have had it...
I think it is weird that the woman claims she covered herself up when breastfeeding around her own kids. I don't buy it. I think it had more to do with the 11 year old being present when a non-family member exposed her breasts briefly while breastfeeding. Perhaps I would have said "it isn't polite to stare" if I saw my 11 year old son hanging around every time she breast fed. If it continued to happen, after several comments to my son, I would hope my friend would cover up...
I agree that since you were in HER home, it wasn't as big of a deal. You don't know what her personal situation is. Now if you were in your own home and she asked that you not whip out a breast to feed your child, that would be a bit much... a deal breaker.   I also have to agree that it is hard to find friends sometimes. I feel very isolated too, and rarely meet people with similar beliefs, etc. The fact that you get along with her otherwise, and the kids get along...
Peanut butter is one of those things that can get messy and get smeared easily, so I can understand it being banned (or at the very least, a peanut free table designated) if there is an allergy. I also agree that once a child is old enough to understand their condition and carry an epipen responsibly, the schools should allow peanut butter and other allergens (there are so many!). Middle school would be the youngest...high school would be better. All schools should have...
I heard early puberty has other signs...like pubic hair as early as 3 or 4 years old, so if odor is your only issue, you might be OK. I think it's a pediatric endocrinologist that tests for early puberty with blood tests, bone scans, etc. if you want to be sure.    I seem to remember when I would wear a warm synthetic sweater when it wasn't freezing out yet, I would get armpit BO (in elementary school). I didn't get pubic hair until much later, and didn't menstruate...
I struggled with this too. My son was seen by a psychologist when he was 2.5. She said "high risk for ADHD along with borderline autism".   We had lots of early intervention and had him re-tested over the years. No one found him to be near the spectrum. Some said sensory processing disorder and/or dyspraxia/dysgraphia so that is what we went with. At 6 yrs old they had to drop the developmental delay label on the IEP. I was able to keep his IEP with an "other health...
My kids are like polar opposites, personality wise. They were both fairly easy and happy babies though. My second (a girl) got colicky at 6 weeks and it lasted for a month or two. They both slept through the night fairly early on (from 3 mos). I didn't breastfeed much due to complications, etc. so that could be why.   I agree that I was a different mother with my second child. I think I had PPD with my first. 
It's hard when many docs still lean toward circ when asked. You are right that more and more people are choosing to not circ which is great. Hopefully healthcare changes will also lead to less circing of babies. At one point, when our kids are grown and deciding for their own children, it won't be so much of a "fitting in" thing, since more American adults will be uncirc at that point than they are right now.   I knew a woman who didn't want children, but was married and...
The same exact thing happened to us years ago. An older gentleman opened the door in the apartment community we lived in. He kept the candy bowl all the way across the room so that we had to walk across the living room and into his house to get candy (first red flag). Then he busts out a camera and takes a pic of my son before we knew what hit us (second red flag)! My son's costume was not elaborate and he was by himself. I could see my husband's face...he wasn't happy. I...
In my family, my daughter liked to dress/undress herself more than my son. But even with that, I think she was probably about three before she could do socks herself. Socks are kind of tough to master, especially if you are sensitive to the seam.    I think birth order has something to do with it too. We do tend to baby the first born more than the others, as far as helping with dressing, bathing, etc.   My son was a first born, and had developmental delays (including...