or Connect

Posts by Gena 22

The care my children and I received at home from my CPM and her crowd of assistants was better than I would have gotten in any other setting in the time and place I found myself.  We are healthier because of it, and that was why I stayed home to birth.  It was not a "high risk" birth, although it would be banned by most licensing boards for the simple reason of twins.  So when I read these discussions I feel it's important for me to speak out in praise of CPMs, because...
I'm sure there are great CNMs.  Don't mean to put them down as a group.  I only know the ones I've come across, and where I live, CNMs have their hands tied by licensing and insurance.  This thread was about whether there's a place for DEMs, and given our current climate, I feel strongly that there is.  DEMs are a very important part of the birthing options available to American women now.     Using my own profession as an example - I'm a lawyer.  There's a course that...
  While I can understand your and PPs' opinions, reasonable people can disagree.  I am a firm believer in giving mothers the ultimate choice where and how they give birth, and as a society do what we can to support the different choices women make.
This may be the AAP's stance, but it doesn't mean it's universal among pediatricians.  When I was interviewing pediatricians for my twins, the one we choose (at a major university hospital) was the only medical doc who wished me a full 40 week gestation.    And he knew we wouldn't get that in a hospital.    An unmedicated babe who's allowed to come in their own time, kept with their mother, physiological cord clamping, breastfeed early and often, etc. should be...
Education is great, and I don't have a strong feeling about what education should be required, but there's no trumping experience.  I don't care what letters you have after your name or how many books you've read.  I want someone who's seen and done it all.  At least twice.   Isn't the example of Ina May Gaskin and the outcomes on the Farm an excellent example?  There are so many competing interests in hospital births and birthing education.  Keeping up on the most...
I expected PP hemorrhage - my mom had a transfusion with my birth, and I was carrying twins.  So for the weeks going into my birth i made sure to keep healthy, get my iron and fluid level high, and took alfalfa supplements.   This is at home: my MW estimated that I lost about 1500 cc of blood, maybe not officially a hemorrhage, but significant.  It came so fast it sounded like my bladder emptying.  Fortunately, I didn't see much of it.  I was hooked up to an IV for...
Not the same at all, but I did have a very happy homebirth with our di-di twins.  It wasn't the smoothest birth in the world, but my biggest issues came from being a first-timer.  With di-di twins I think you'll find it's just a normal birth followed by another.  Have you UC'ed before?   My girls were both head down, which actually caused a small problem.  It seemed like the chin of one babe was getting in the way of the shoulder of the other, and our "Baby A"...
It is unethical to force a person to have medical procedure without their consent, as it is unethical (less so) to force a provider to do things to which they don't consent.  So while I can understand a provider saying they would not attend a VBAC for instance, it is similarly wrong to force women into surgical births to which they don't consent.    Hospitals are limited in the options they can present women with.  Limited as business models and by liability.  Plenty...
FWIW, within a few months my body went pretty much back to normal PP.    My shape recovered by the time I woke out of newborn daze enough to care.  Breastfeeding twins is a huge help!  At first I was just so happy to see my feet again and shower and shave my legs.  And like Rinap I love running up stairs.  Things you stop taking for granted!  And nursing for 2y9m didn't really have any effect on my breasts.  Larger nipples but that's it.    I may have had / have...
  I did have supply worries too, maybe everyone does?  Crazy as it sounds, I actually woke up at night to pump, when our girls were sleeping.  I did this so I'd have enough for an afternoon and morning bottle when I was a work.  We did manage without supplementing at all, but mostly because my mom brought to babes to me for a lunch time feed.   What I ultimately came to is the understanding that while i wasn't producing as much as I thought I should be, that was...