or Connect

Posts by Gena 22

FWIW, I found out about my twins at 19 weeks at a routine U/S (at that point I was still with my OBs.)  Huge surprise.  They were my first, so I have nothing to compare, but through the entire 39w pregnancy the only twin symptoms were 1. early quickening, 2. heightened sense of smell early on, 3. I did get pretty big.  I could have very easily gone all the way with no idea, although in my case a good midwife should have been able to palpatate - my girls were essentially...
Find your local moms-of-multiples club and ask around to find out who liked their OB.  Yours sounds like he/she might be good, but so much will depend on having a good caregiver.  I know in my area there's really only one OB among the hundreds around I'd trust to support the vaginal twin birth I wanted.    Like any birth, maybe the key to making it as smooth and happy as possible would to be to try and be sure to be in a position to "own" all of the decisions.  Know...
Wow, yeah to everything AlexisT and labortrials said.  Almost like I don't need to respond, they've made so many EXCELLENT points!   A couple comments: when you're looking at studies of twins, one thing that bugs me a little is that all twins are lumped together.  Of course this is unsurprising, since it would be hard to find a good sample size, but it would be nice to know the different risks for all sorts of things differentiated by di-di, mono-di and mono.  The...
Don't waste the money on the test, unless you really need to know for sure.  As a mom that went 15 months thinking her twins were fraternal, until I broke down and did the test, you twins look more identical than most MZ twins.  And it's unlikely that the docs would be wrong about mono-di twins.  It's of course possible that the placentas fused, making it look mono-di, but that seems unlikely, especially with a thin membrane.  If they shared a placenta, they must be...
As a twin mom, I definitely had a PP five months pregnant look.  What works for me is using a balance ball as a chair.  I think it's made a huge difference!  
Me too, and fair or not, I still consider my home birth essentially "natural."  The IV was for dehydration (saline only) and the pitocin was a post-birth IM shot to help delivery of the placenta.  Not sure it actually had any effect at all.   FYI - Before labor, I was pretty negative about having an IV too, and in the "just have a drink" camp.  But after a long labor and puking to dry heaves, I needed that IV.  It made the difference between a fantastic homebirth and a...
Sounds like you're doing really well!  There do seem to be some nursing "mysteries."  Like is a 10 min session enough?  And if so, why then do babes sometimes like to camp out at the breast.  In my foggy memory my twins did both.    ne comment though, on pumping for work!  Oversupply is strange, but having milk in the fridge is security.  I went back to work at 10 weeks and pumped for about two years.  At about months 4-6 I worried because the pump is not as...
Lots of twin moms go near or full term, with no bed rest.  Granted, I have an office job, but I worked until 2 days before delivery at 39 weeks and was very active all through.  But there's no guaranteeing that outcome, and I certainly didn't expect it.  Sounds like you and she need some contingency plans.   Is there anyone who could act as a "mother's helper" for your nanny, if she finds she needs it?  And does your nanny have help at home?  It's one thing to...
As HerGrace says, plenty of di-di twins are identical, and the ONLY way you can know frat or id is by a DNA test, unless twins are a different sex, hair color, eye color, etc.  I've heard as many as 30% of same sex twins are ID.  My girls, and lots of sets I know, were di-di MZ.  We assumed frat until at 15 months, when I was tired of telling people, no, they're not identical, and people not believing me, we got them tested.  Lo, ID!  Plus, like your boys our twins hit...
These terms seem meaningless and harmful to me.  What are the practical differences?  There's at least one study I know that shows that "high" risk moms have better outcomes with first a midwife, then a GP, and last of all, an OB.  That's the same for "low" risk moms, and has to do with individualized care (ie fewer routine interventions) leading to better outcomes.   My experience bears that out.  I was a young-ish, healthy, first time mom who at 19 weeks was...