or Connect

Posts by Gena 22

I'd guess that AJ had a few issues making BF'ing harder - her twins were premature, I don't know by how much, she would have been recovering from her second c/s, in a foreign country with no adult family help. I can imagine that it was hard. But I'm really glad she committed to three months and talked about it in public. It's good for raising awareness that you can BF multiples, sympathy for those to whom it doesn't come easy and kudos to those who manage...
I also got a pump on Craigslist and have been happy to have it. Medela PIS, which I like because of the BPA-free parts. I made some mistakes about BF'ing early (scheduling) which affected my supply, so I need to pump even when I'm home - pumping after a feeding sometimes to make sure I'm fully drained, or pump in the middle of the night to keep a freezer stash and supply up. It might be nice to have a pump on hand for these reasons, but a rented pump might be more...
Interesting post. You either have twins or you don't. If not, an ultrasound isn't worth it. If you do, you might risk out of your midwife's services and it would become harder to have the natural birth you seem to want. So what are the risks of having "surprise" twins? I am no expert, but here are my thoughts off the top of my head. You can eat as if you are having twins - lots of protein and water. Keep yourself healthy and see how you feel. Restrict activity if...
I was just pondering the same thing, EsaEsa! Like you, when I have a 2nd adult it's no problem. But when it's just me, it means either leaving one unattended in another room (not a popular choice) or having the non-bathing twin play in the bathroom while I bathe the other. Our bathroom is small too, and my girls seem fascinated by the space under the radiator. Not sparkling indeed. No real solution besides those offered by the PPs. When I give it a try this week I...
Thanks for the advice and the experience. Yeah, MOMs! Funny that going by what feels right seems a little counter-intuitive sometimes. Guess that's just something we new moms need to get used to and protective of. Nice to hear from so many nursing way past the one year mark. And to EsaEsa, another 2/08 MOM!
How does this work? Do I keep nursing my girls as often as I have been up to this point? I went into parenting with very few preconceived notions. I assumed I'd wean at 12 months like everyone else but didn't give it too much thought. To my surprise I've turned into a homebirthing, baby-wearing, CD'er. So far I've gotten my babes to 9 1/2 months without a drop of formula. (I'm a little bit proud and a lot thankful things worked out well enough to allow it.) They...
Also, others may know better, but all of the birthing centers in my area are singleton only for liability reasons.
Second on getting a doula, where ever you are, but in a hospital most of all. You can ask around and find someone familiar with the hospital who can work within the system to get what you want. It'll put your mind at ease and free your husband up too. Neither of you should be fighting with interventionist drs and nurses. Being far from a good hospital is tough and scary. I'm not sure I would have attempted it although I know those who have successfully. It's a...
Wanted to share a story for posterity. I was at a store over the weekend, when the clerk asked if the babies my DH and I were carrying were twins. When we said yes, he said he had twins too. I asked how old? His answer: 15 and 4. I barely heard him and was about to smile and keep walking when it hit me. 15 and 4. Two sets! A girl and boy each time. Wow-e! He was a sweetheart. I seem to meet parents, twins, siblings of multiple sets all the time. What an...
No bedrest, worked until 2 days before birth at 39 weeks. Walked all through my second and third trimester, a couple miles a day. Too sick for anything active the first trimester. "Morning" sickness? How about work, commuting, getting home, ingesting anything sickness?