or Connect

Posts by ReadyMom

My nephew, who is in high school, lives with me. The main thing I have learned in my years dealing with the schools is that schools are mostly interested in getting you to bend to their will and are not very interested in working together with parents. I think it's a symptom of crowd control. There is no room for individualization when you are trying to get hundreds (or thousands) of kids and families marching in the same direction.
Quote: Originally Posted by Momma Aimee i like it for teh WHY but did not get a real feel of it giving me "anything to follow" on a pratical day to day level. It doesn't give you a day-to-day schedule of exactly what you will be doing in each subject, as that is curriculum-specific and she recommends and variety of curricula for each subject. However, each subject's chapter contains detailed instructions for what to accomplish each year and how...
My oldest child is 8. We follow The Well-Trained Mind, and we love it. I think that it is a well-structured yet highly flexible program. I feel free to make substitutions whenever I want, but I feel TWTM gives me an idea of where I am going, and why.
I think many homeschoolers today see homeschooling simply as one option, with public and private schools being other options. I know several people who were homeschooling in the 60s and 70s, and they say that families back then were committed to homeschooling as a lifestyle, not just an education option. I see families in my area who are very casual about homeschooling: "I'll try it for a year." "If Junior wants to go to school, he can." That sort of thing. I am a...
I would never fundraise for homeschooling. Choosing to homeschool means taking responsibility for your children's education, and that includes paying for it yourself. I don't see anything wrong with asking for education-related items for holidays your family exchanges presents on, but fundraising? Tacky.
My answer to any of the "Why do kids need to know ..." questions is "Because education is about equipping children to be the architects of their own lives, and having a broad base of knowledge opens up more doors to them."
I think that a language can be learned with great proficiency by people of any age. Millions, maybe billions, of adults learn new languages to proficiency. It depends, however, on how much effort you put into it. A five year old and a 35 year old who spend an hour a week working on a foreign language will probably make the same amount of progress: not much. A five year old and a 35 year old who move to a different country and are immersed in the language and use it as...
Quote: Originally Posted by eilonwy 1. Title your post with the name of the program. RightStart Math Quote: 2. What level/age is your child? Did that influence your decision to use this particular program (or not to use another?) My kids (the ones using RS, at least) are 7 and 6. We are using level B. I spent a long time researching math curricula and chose RS because I wanted to start them from the beginning with...
My nephew was born by traditional surrogacy. It has been a real disaster for our family. My brother's sperm was inseminated into another woman (someone my brother and SIL knew), so that woman is genetically related to my nephew. There was a court battle when my nephew was 2 because the woman had never adjusted to having given away her child and, while she wasn't seeking full custody, she wanted shared parenting. She didn't get it and ended up completely severing her...
Quote: Originally Posted by athansor somehow we should send the message that if we believe that cruelty to puppies and kittens is wrong, then perhaps it is equally wrong to be cruel to calves, lambs, piglets, bunnies, fish, etc. Absolutely. And that is why we are vegan. We tell our kids that the "cuteness factor" of an animal is not what determines whether an animal should be treated well. All beings should be treated well simply by virtue of...