or Connect

Posts by mamaUK

I would pick the project based school in a heart beat in terms of actual schooling but I think you have to be realistic about the 45 minute car journey. So that is an hour and a half in the car for your DD a day. And that would be 3 hours a day for you....and I assuming your DS as well. That is a long time for you personally to be stuck in a car and would seem like a terribly long time for your DS. I know from experience. I thought the 30 min walk each way to my...
Quote: Originally Posted by zoebird well, i wouldn't say that NZers or Americans eat like we do either. LOL we eat *a lot* of vegetables. like, *a lot*. so, we eat them throughout the day and personally, i eat steamed broccoli with olive oil, salt, and pepper like potato chips! LOL that's what they taste like to us. for the cheesy grain, i try to mix up the grains or do a sort of pilaf of grains. they need to have similar boiling times, or it gets...
So since reading this thread, I realise I do in fact have theme nights but never actually realised! I am going to write this down and pin it up in my kitchen to make shopping lists easier now. We're vegetarian. pizza night (Since this thread, that will be friday) made from scratch. I have a breadmaker which makes this very easy. So on the base goes a pizza sauce (Jamie Oliver recipe i have) with mozzerella and torn up fresh basil. I make huge quanties of pizza sauce...
Quote: Originally Posted by lyrebird I think it's a positive thing to go through the day's events, a useful habit to nurture, but only at a particular time - it's good to have that scheduled in at some point so they know they're going to have a chance to be heard. good luck! what would be a good way of opening up this conversation? We don't do this and i'm not sure of a good opening to the conversation ♥
Quote: Originally Posted by candycat Maybe this is way out there but is it possible, with your schedules, to put her to bed even *earlier*? If you want her asleep by 7:30 so she wakes up in the morning, perhaps have her go to bed at 6:30? My kids go to sleep VERY early but it works with my schedule because I'm home during the day and I don't have to feel like I'm missing out on time with them while I'm at work etc. We start our bedtime routine at 3,...
Quote: Originally Posted by zoebird here are a few things that i would try: dimming the lights--this helps with helping the skin "go to sleep." make sure that you close the curtains to outside light once the sun goes down (or should, if you live in, say, alaska), and keep lights in the house on very low. aromatherapy pillow-- make a pillow that is 1/2 hops and 1/2 lavender. doesn't have to be huge, btu this combination is a used by a lot of...
i've heard the "7o'clock bedtime" book is very very good and addresses lots of issues at bedtime and day to day stuff as a whole. I know you can pick it up very cheaply second hand from amazon. For under a £1 in the UK and I'm sure it will be similar price i the USA.
Quote: Originally Posted by zoebird this is our meal plan (on average) for breakfast, we alternate between yogurt with fruit and toast, eggs and steamed veggies, and bircher muesli (which is made like oatmeal here and is very yummy--you soak it over night in apple juice, the boil it up in a few minutes the next morning). on weekends, we have "big breakfast" of eggs, toast, bacon, veggies, fruit, tea. it's a long affair. (most weekends, we only eat two...
Quote: Originally Posted by boatbaby We hide our stash in a locker (closet) on the boat in a bin. Zach is now wise to where it is and what it's all about, but he knows not to go through it. He'll talk about it once in a while, and while it would take GREAT effort to unearth it, he could get to it if he was motivated enough. I tell him that going through it means no surprises, and that would stink, but it's his choice. He knows surprises are fun so he...
Is that book a good read mommabeehilly? I haven't heard of the book before. What's sort of things does it discuss? LuxPerpetua, the big dishes you talk about that you have over a couple of nights? Are they all meat based or are some vegetarian? I have never cooked like that before and I am interested to try. It is something fresh homecooked for us everynight and it gets tiring when I could be spending more time snuggling with the children! I love you idea of pizza on...