or Connect

Posts by mamaUK

Quote: Originally Posted by nlpmamma I have a list of age specific recommendations for toys from our WS. For ages 1-4 it suggests: knot doll, large sack doll, doll with sewn on clothes or a large simple doll with clothes that are easy to put on and take off, doll bed or cradle with pillow, blanket and mattress, large knit balls (these are great fun to make), large baskets for toys, pull toy, rocking chair, blocks made from various lengths of...
Quote: Originally Posted by cat2116 your list sounds great-just wanted to add I have just bought the rainbow playsilk from www.myriadonline.co.uk and its beautiful...the pictures do it no justice.: Are you in the UK then? It's great if you are, it seems like nobody I know has ever heard anything about Waldorf, and I think they probably think I'm crazy when I say I'm getting rid of all out plastic and I would like my LO to play imaginatively...
This thread is very interesting to me. My 3 year old expects me to be her constant entertainer, if I'm not playing directly with her she is hanging around doing absolutely nothing until I start playing with her again. Seriously, it reminds me of teenagers hanging around on streetcorners waiting for something to do. She will occasionally make believe, (maybe a couple of times a week) playing babies. Is anybody else in a similar situation? Also do I need to 'show' her how...
Quote: Originally Posted by LindaCl I think that sometimes these little ones just feel the need to be with their mama and it's not that they aren't used to creative play, they're not choosing to being "off" somewhere away from us. I had a "clinger" that I think kind of "figured me out" that losing herself in entertaining play caused her to lose track of me. In her case (she was about this age), I didn't have a lot of success trying to encourage...
Quote: Originally Posted by audreyhorne your list looks great! lots of fun things for your daughter to be excited about. we have the stirring xylophone and love it! it's so lovely! if you are interested in saving some money, you could ty to make some of the toys, especially with your daughter. it is easy and fun to buy blank silks and dye them with a child, with either natural dyes or kool-aide or cake decorating dyes. you could also make the streamer...
Quote: Originally Posted by cat2116 Hi, My kids are 4 and 2 and these are a couple of their favourites: -playsilks (we use these on the nature table and for dressing up) -Stacking toys -baskets (seriously my DD carries these around all day.) -A Doll -cars and trains -kitchen stuff, pots, pans, play food, iron etc. -Beeswax crayons (pricey but last ages) -outside...a sandpit and a little garden where they grow their own veg and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Oriole I'm not a traditional Waldorf parent, but I love Waldorf toys: Dirt Cheap: * Baskets with pinecones, shells, river rocks; A little more expensive: * Tree blocks, regularly shaped wooden blocks, all kind of blocks * Knitted or felt fairies and gnomes * Wooden trucks, cars, animals * Sewn or wooden foods Pricey: * A doll / family * A wooden catsle with knights, horses, farmers, etc. * A wooden barn with...
Quote: Originally Posted by Deborah When you cook you can give your daughter something soft to cut up with a non-dangerous knife (butter knife or a little spreader). Zucchini is good. Have her help you string beans. And then provide her with a little make-believe kitchen space of her own, which doesn't have to be elaborate. Just a surface and a few little pots, bowls and stirrers. Yesterday she went out in the garden and 'helped' DH prune the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Attached Mama Our almost 3 yr old (Tues) is *very* creative. I did start off when she was less than a year showing her how to feed her baby or simple things like that and she just took it from there. As she got older, I found saying "Mommy is doing ... right now. I'll play with you soon when I'm done" was helpful. She started off playing by herself for short periods and by 18 mos could entertain herself for 30 min or so of...
Hello! I was wondering if you could help me, my DH has given me the go ahead to choose some nice natural toys for my DD who is 3. Luckily, we hardly have any plastic toys to get rid of, just 3 My Little Ponies and 'Happy Land Village and Figures (which I am going to try sell on E.bay) and I think that is about it. I hated the plastic so much I have been putting off buying her toys b/c I didn't know what to get her...so her bedroom is looking pretty bare and empty. This...