or Connect

Posts by pageta

Quote: Originally Posted by campbellsoup He has been playing dumb. Constantly. ... Any more thoughts? The beauty of homeschooling is that if something isn't working, you can change. It sounds like what you're doing is very similar to what I had to do in a classroom when I was a kid. It's an easy way for the teacher to verify comprehension with a large group of students. But you are a homeschooler, so you aren't tied to that method. My...
Yes, you can do that. It just takes a lot more energy and creativity than going page by page through a workbook, but it can be a lot more fun. Here are a couple resources for math that you may find helpful: Living Math is a site where math is taught with storybooks This site has a list of concepts and sample problems for each grade showing you what your child needs to know. You might want to check out Story of the World. The activity guide for that series has lists...
I have a 6-year-old, a busy 3-year-old and an infant. My ds6 (who I'm homeschooling) does not do anything independently. The baby is either asleep or in my lap. The 3-year-old plays independently in the same room we're in, though he's sometimes loud while I'm trying to read. And I do everything with ds6. We do short, CM style lessons (10 to 15 minutes) and do 2 1/2 to 3 hours of school every day. In that time, we cover the following subjects: Bible (Old Testament, Psalms,...
My kids have taken to getting up at 5 a.m. the last few days. Agh! That aside, my husband leaves for work at 7 so if I want to shower before he leaves, I have to get up by 6:30. My oldest sleeps the latest, but we try to start school by 8 (sometimes earlier, sometimes later) so we're doing by 11:00.
We start some of our curriculum in July and some in January. We school year round, ten weeks per quarter. We take an official break between Christmas and New Years, but other than that, it's just whenever we have something else we want to do. Generally I aim for 4-day weeks, but during the winter when we're cooped up inside, we do more, and then when spring comes and it's glorious out and everyone else is making up snow days, we take "spring days" and enjoy ourselves.
I just take lines from poetry or stories we have read. Seriously, I come up with it as I assign it, unless he is in the middle of copying a poem or something. Last week we did Humpty Dumpty over four days. Stuff like that.
At that age, we started by going to the library regulary for storytime. That was the beginning of our routine and everything else has been added, one by one. Ambleside Online and Simply Charlotte Mason have some great book lists for that age group. Five in a Row is well-liked by many and might work well for you. But I would emphasize that routine, routine, routine is what has helped us be successful. We started building our routine last January and I was tweaking it even...
If it's more practical for your kids to wear uniforms, such as for the reasons you stated, by all means, I would do it. If it's just going to complicate your life to wear uniforms, then don't bother. Having 'school clothes' can help children get into the learning frame of mind which could make homeschool easier for you. When I was a Mary Kay consultant, I always got better results when making calls if I dressed as though I were seeing customers in person even though I...
If you were to pull your son out of school, here is what I would do: Get your dh some good earplugs. Then give yourself a break for a few weeks after the baby is born. Once you're ready, start school with one subject, then once that is going well, add another, and another, and another, until you have a full curriculum going. You will figure out as you go along what order works best, what time of day works best, what types of things your children respond to best, etc....
Yeah, I also found that in math...that if I "understood" it, I didn't know it. In my experience, knowing it comes first, then understanding it. Knowing your numbers is something you know, not something you understand. Knowing your math facts is just like knowing your numbers - they are the basic elements on whcih all math is composed of. So I teach basic math facts just like I taught the alphabet.