or Connect

Posts by pageta

Quote: Originally Posted by Momma Aimee I am working on complieing book lists to work from .. i want to expand our reading selections ... I found one on AO. (the Kindergarten / pre-school list) I was wondering what other good solid book lists are there out there what people "work from". (other on-line Curr with book lists?) Simply Charlotte Mason has some great lists, too. They even have some especially for the younger set (ages 3, 4 &...
Quote: Originally Posted by Momma Aimee I have read some CM and shoud read more -- to be totally honest -- no one shoot me -- i don't like her. she is a bit too "sweet" for me and a lot of the writting -- of hers or in support of her's -- iread tend, imo, to come across as assumeing parenting is simple "children must frist lear to be obedant" uhhh ok ... Not sure i can expain it. Also (bag over head) i am NOT into nature. Dh is a hunter, we have land,...
I have two definitions of "school." We school year around and my goal is 40 days of school each quarter. During our first quarter this year, I was at the end of my pregnancy and had a newborn (very tired due to both). We did 40 days of school, but only 23 were sitting down and working specifically with the curriculum I've selected. The other days were all "enrichment" days where we went to the zoo, the museum, for a ride on the city bus (specifically, not just because...
Quote: Originally Posted by PJsmomma An Ambleside CM'r here We're on Year 3 and this is our 4th year of following Ambleside. I'm in love with the results I'm seeing. I follow Ambleside fairly closely because I like their selections. I've cut out a couple that we just hated though. Yes, I've found all sorts of treasures in AO selections that I hadn't heard of elsewhere. I'm curious which ones you hated, though.
Quote: Originally Posted by theretohere Pageta- are you doing Earlybird 1A or Primary 1A? Standards or US? I'm happy to find someone else doing Singapore. And what a fun idea to do Ambleside 11- I'm going to look at that now. We are doing Primary 1A Standards. I have the HIG, textbook and workbook. I started without the HIG and was completely lost, tried Right Start (hated it) and went back to Singapore with the HIG. We're doing quite well...
We started when ds was 5.5 - only because I was pregnant and wanted to get a headstart on things. I was very fearful that ds would resist school. SO, I started with things I knew he would like, adding one subject at a time, establishing a routine that worked for us. DS loves stories so I started by reading a story from a chapter book I thought he'd like every day. Then we added phonics, math, handwriting, etc. Once we got the basics going smoothly (the 3 R's), we added...
We are doing a combination of WTM and CM. We started out with WTM but now are more CM, I think. Here's the run-down: Reading - BOB books along with various early readers from the library (most as suggested at Ambleside Online and other CM sites) Spelling - McGuffey's Eclectic Speller - doing this rather than phonics as my ds hated the little sentences he had to read as a part of OPTGR (we did make it almost to lesson 100, though) Handwriting - I taught him his letters...
FIAR was great for inspiration, but I could never follow it as a curriculum. I like the ideas for expanding on the story, but I just ad lib here and there rather than making a method of it. We love the stories we've read so far, and I've found all sorts of great ideas in the book. But we are not following it as a curriculum at all.
I have special toys that my ds3 loves to play with and I get them out only when I do school with ds6. I start school by reading a story for ds3, and he stays in the general area usually while we school. He loves the science stuff I do so I include him in that. He listens to the other stories and such, which makes me wonder how much he is picking up. It will be interesting to see.
I think it's a personality thing. My middle (ds3) is the same way about potty training. He is very capable and ready in every other way, but he doesn't seem to think that he needs to use the potty like everybody else does. I would say, just keep reading to him, take him to the library, etc. Eventually he'll get past it and want to read. You have plenty of time. With my oldest (ds6), he is far more open to doing things if I don't push it and just keep presenting the...