or Connect

Posts by pageta

Yes, I figured the conversation was going to be about race when I saw the title. I am not a minority, but I can tell you I've had very similar experiences when meeting with other homeschoolers. It's like everyone is so used to being around themselves every day and not getting out that they aren't very quick to socialize when we're all together for a field trip or something. I've had the same thing happen at least a half dozen times. And again, I am not a minority when it...
We love the activity book. We use it 90% for the booklists (I'm not into projects and stuff like that). But the books we've discovered on that list have been priceless. I love reading stories to learn history and enriching the experience. If I had to choose between the text and the activity book, I might just choose the activity book.
I would figure out what things that you're doing that she likes more and what she likes less. My ds loves having stories read aloud to him, so that is how we start out every day. Then we do what he likes least - reading aloud to me - followed by one of his favorite subjects, spelling. When he was really dragging his feet in reading aloud - staring off into space, taking five minutes to read a simple page with eight words, etc. - I backed way off on the amount we were...
I don't use a boxed curriculum set like Sonlight where they send you everything for all the subjects at once. I do use some curriculums, like Singapore Math, Handwriting Without Tears, and Story of the World. But I simply use those curriculums as a launching pad for doing my own thing. I used HWT to teach ds the letters, and now I assign my own copywork, drawing from either his reading aloud for the day or spelling words. Story of the World gives activities and lists...
We have a newborn at our house, currently five weeks old. We've been back full time (four days a week) for two weeks now. The week or two before that it was hit and miss. I was actually more of a bomb in the last weeks of pregnancy because I was so tired and everything took so much effort. Baby was born at the beginning of September, and in our quarter from July through September, we only did 23 schooldays where we did classwork (we had over 40 days of school total...
Why are you having these discussions with them? Does it matter what they think? Do you need their approval in order to homeschool? I would hope not. Just do it. Be successful. Let the results speak for themselves (however long that may take, possibly years). And leave it at that.
The first time (almost two years ago) I went to the store and bought my computer. The second time, the store didn't have what I wanted so I bought it online. I don't remember how it worked online. Call them and ask - I know they gave me a discount as a homeschooler.
I've used it. No problems here.
Try short lessons. Ten minutes. I have found that to really relieve my frustration at times. We get school over with so I can do other things (like pay attention to younger children) and I don't feel like school has taken over my life and become my ball and chain. And my son seems to respond more with shorter lessons. I get more of a response from short lessons than I do from long lessons, too, which means they're effective. In fact, after a few days of short lessons, he...
Have you read or watched The Happiest Baby on the Block? Our baby is either sleeping, eating, or crying, but she responds well to swaddling. My first needed to be swaddled in the evenings but was okay the rest of the day. This baby (my third and last) needs to be swaddled all day. I would certainly try the Happiest Baby techniques before trying the elimination diet or anything more dramatic like that.