or Connect

Posts by pageta

If you get the HIG for Singapore, there are games and such that they talk about in there that you can do to teach the concepts. I like Singapore because it is laid out logically and covers all the bases. It doesn't have as much practice until you buy the extra problems or intensive problems. But with the HIG (home instructor's guide), there are enough ideas for ways to teach the concepts that I haven't felt we've needed anything beyond the textbook and workbook.
Does the younger one take a nap? That was the arrangement when we started - naptime was schooltime. Now naptime has gone by the wayside, and the first couple of times the little one didn't understand. Now I start with a special story for him, and then he loses interest and goes off and plays. He usually stays in the same room as us, but since my oldest is accustomed to our routine, we seem to manage. Now I have a screaming newborn sometimes while we try to school - fun!
When I was talking about reasons to homeschool and described my elementary years in a multigrade classroom where I entertained myself and was quiet for most of the day, my mother was horrified and told me that had I said something to her, she would have done something about it. Knowing my mother (who sat on the school board), I am sure she would have. Though I still would have been in school - the teacher would have just had to be a bit more creative in finding things for...
I loved school, too. I looked forward to it, and got up wanting to go every day. But looking back, I was bored out of my mind. My homework was done by 10 a.m. and I sat around and read for the rest of the day (I was required to sit in my desk and be quiet - multigrade classroom, if you're wondering). My ds is only in 1st grade, but I am learning so much from what we are doing. My mom homeschooled me for one year and it was the most fun year of school I had until college,...
My dh isn't gung-ho about it. If it were up to him, the boys would be in school by default. When he was a kid, he was stuck out on the farm by himself so preschool was fun because he got to see other kids even though he didn't really learn anything (he knew it all already). My experience with school was different. My mom hs'd me for my first year, and then I entered school in 2nd grade. That year at home was the most fun year of school I had until I reached college, so I...
Some fun things you might consider: Before Five in a Row Simply Charlotte Mason for the Early Years For art appreciation/instruction, Artistic Pursuits. Weekly trips to the library (our library has weekly storytime for preschoolers) and books selected from suggestions in Honey for a Child's Heart I didn't do much for my oldest, but now that I'm homeschooling, those are things that I am doing with my 3-year-old...because I've discovered them and they look like fun to...
Just add one thing at a time. I started with reading more stories, ones I carefully selected from the library as "literature" (just really good, classic stories). Then we added phonics and BOB books, after that handwriting, then math. Once all of those subjects were going well we added history, science, and everything else. It took about six months for me to get everything up and running. I totally believe in unschooling until children are ready for first grade. Then an...
I don't have a child in your situation, but my kids drive me crazy at times. I've found that homeschooling actually helps them drive me less crazy because it gives us something productive to do together. With that said, the challenges you are going to face include picking the right curriculum for her. That can mean trying more than one thing, which means trying and failing. You need to know as much as possible about her learning style and where she is academically in...
Remember, as a homeschooler, you don't have to be a slave to your curriculum. If something is progressing too slowly, combine lessons. If it is going too quickly, spread one lesson over a couple of days. You are the teacher - make the material work for you.
DS was still very clingy at that age. We went to VBS over the summer and I had to stay every day or he cried. Then I started sending him to Sunday school (same church). It was an opportunity to meet other kids and learn how to function in a class environment by experiencing it for one hour a week vs. 7 hours a day. I had to sit in the back of the classroom for a couple months or he cried, but now he goes by himself. We've gone to various field trip opportunities that...