or Connect

Posts by pageta

Or, instead of unschooling, spread out the schedule a bit. I just had a baby in Sept, and I knew I would be starting to officially HS ds this year, so I started back in January, introducing one subject at a time. Now I have a fussy baby and am thrilled if I HS once a week, but I am not worrying about it since we plodded along slowly all through the summer. WTM says a 4 day week with 3 months of is totally doable. I also second the suggestions that the older children help...
Thanks for posting that - I enjoyed it immensely. And no, I didn't read the comments.
My 6 year old ds is very obsessed with books. He spends hours pouring over them, "reading" them to his brother (and getting mad that he doesn't pay attention). He loves spelling and wants to know all the time how various things are spelled. But he hates doing phonics and getting him to read even the simplest books aloud is pure torture. So I totally feel your frustration. My ds is more interested in looking at the pictures and pondering what they mean than reading the...
TYCTR is phonics, and FLL is grammar. If you use Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (same authors as FLL), they say to wait to start FLL until you have worked through the first 100 lessons or so (about half the book, which is designed to be used through over two years or so). I think I would use TYCTR first, and then replace it with FLL once you are finished.
Caroline will be 3 weeks tomorrow. She is either eating, sleeping, or fussing. I've swaddled her way more than the other two - my first just needed it in the evenings, my second not at all, and this one needs it a lot. Right now she's going back and forth between eating every 2 hours and every 4 hours. I wish she'd do the 4 hours thing at night, you know, but this too shall pass. My parents left last Wednesday, but I am doing much better than I expected (I was really...
Caroline will be 3 weeks tomorrow. She is either eating, sleeping, or fussing. I've swaddled her way more than the other two - my first just needed it in the evenings, my second not at all, and this one needs it a lot. Right now she's going back and forth between eating every 2 hours and every 4 hours. I wish she'd do the 4 hours thing at night, you know, but this too shall pass. My parents left last Wednesday, but I am doing much better than I expected (I was really...
At most, an hour a week. I just lay out the next five or six days in each subject, and then we try to do our core at least four days a week and the rest as much as we can. Our core is phonics, reading, handwriting and math. History, science, poetry, art, etc. are done as we get to them, which is most of the time - I have weekly goals in these subjects rather than daily goals as I do in the other subjects, so they really are done as they fit into our schedule.
I had my two boys - just turned 6 and almost 2 - at my recent hospital birth. My mom was there and watched them (entertained them) in the family waiting room. Once the midwife came, they got my mom and the boys. She sat on the bed with them and explained what was going on (I was in the tub, in transition/pushing). By the time baby was born, they had come over to stand next to daddy, who was next to me, so they saw the baby come out (as much as you can in a waterbirth) and...
If you do decide to drop some things, I would recommend dropping them one at a time. It would be less of a shock to the system. They're accustomed to doing all of these things they love and stopping many of them at once might really upset them. I've found the best schedule is one I fall into gradually, discovering each piece as it works well for me. Fine-tune one day at a time, and see what you come up with.
To have time for everything, try working on things for a set amount of time rather than to finish a lesson. Charlotte Mason recommends short lessons - like 20 minutes - for younger students. Try keeping LA to 20 minutes, and do more of the others if he likes them, but still do it every day for consistency. You may find that by taking off the pressure, he'll catch up.