or Connect

Posts by pageta

BH are more like pressure for me. Once the real thing starts, it feels like cramping that comes and goes. The more I have to focus to get through a contraction, the more serious I know it is. During my last labor, for quite a while I was able to just get through the next contraction, but at some point, I had to just get through the next breath. Those are the real contractions. If I don't need to focus to that extent, I just consider it BH or warm-ups.
We are using WTM as our backbone. I especially like the trivium where you repeat history and science every four years. I use Charlotte Mason (Ambleside and Simply Charlotte Mason) as enrichment - they have such great book lists for read alouds and have helped me figure out what to do for other things like poetry memorization and music. I like the Charlotte Mason approach to writing with narration and dictation - WTM talks about that but then has a writing program and I was...
I have good days and bad days. On the bad days, I want to have this baby NOW and on the good days, I could go a couple more weeks. I've found the more active I am during the day, the better I sleep at night, the better I feel. Sitting around and moaning and groaning during the day (while pity parties are fun) doesn't make things any better. Stay busy and this time will fly faster than you think.
My husband gets like that sometimes. But each child is different, and I've actually found that I get more organized with each child (by necessity, probably). Can you find a way to make extra income from home? Can you find ways to spend more time with him so he doesn't feel so sidelined? I would start by doing your best to address the issues he's brought up from where you are. Also, two kids may be more work than one, but they aren't twins. One will be more self-reliant...
Don't worry...in a few days they'll be complaining about the teachers and how the school is run and so forth and so on... Last week my friends were all posting pictures of the first day of school on Facebook...this week they're all complaining about something school related. Last week I felt kind of small...this week I feel quite smug. I'm trying not to let it show too much...
If you start having him do simple narration on easier books, that will set him up for when it comes time to do writing. I am one who could read something and not be able to tell you much about it, even though I enjoyed it immensely. I had to train myself to summarize (aka narrate) and now I am much better at reading mindfully and I get a lot more out of what I read and listen to. It is a skill that I wish I had learned better when I was in school, but no one ever took...
Quote: Originally Posted by theretohere Some of my very good friends unschool, but I know that when I'm having a motivation problem they are not the ones to call. Their advice won't mesh at all with my ideas. Yeah, that. I have a friend who waffles between WTM and unschooling. Her version of unschooling is doing nothing, which I don't think unschoolers actually do. I think unschoolers are just very active in pursuing their kids interests,...
At some point she'll have a breakthrough and "get it." My ds painstakingly sounded out every single word in the first series even if he'd just read it on the line before. Ach! Drove me crazy! But then we took a short break and I found him reading his other story books on the potty, and ever since then, if he knows a word he just reads it. He still likes the BOB books though. He liked Dick and Jane from the library, but all of the other readers seem to be too long. If I...
I've found that schooling in shorter bursts works well. I can get a lot done in 30 minute sessions here and there rather than trying to do three hours of focused work. My oldest was into stories and books from day one and would spend hours just looking at his books. My second is almost three and still can hardly sit still for a book. So the little one plays with his trucks while I read stories to the oldest. He plays nicely when his brother isn't here, so I know he is...
I'm going to suggest that perhaps the problem isn't so much the homeschooling method you're following but rather finding a routine that works for you. Everything sounds great when you read things about it written by people who love it. But actually doing it can sometimes be a completely different story. I would suggest starting with a core. For us it is the three R's - reading, writing and arithmatic. Once I got each of those going, one by one, I've added other things in...