or Connect

Posts by pageta

Crocheting is generally faster because the sts are bigger. However, you have more options for getting the right fit with knitting since the sts are smaller. Knitting has far more sts as well so it is far more versatile than crocheting. If was I making a blanket, I would probably crochet it (IF I was making a blanket). But an item of clothing, I prefer knitted. My impression is that there are more patterns for knitting (at least at my LYS, not necessarily at Hobby Lobby) so...
I think you're a very insightful mommy who is teaching your children the great concepts of only having what we need and sharing with others at a very young age. I think what you did is great! Keep up the good work!
It's tough, but I think you lead more by example once you have a child than trying to figure things out before. DH would probably spank, but I work hard to find alternate ways of getting ds to "keep in line" and model them for dh and then he uses them. I am very determined never to spank, and I know that I may have to think hard at times to figure out ways to discipline since I was spanked as a child. I think that every child is different, and if you don't hit your...
DS goes to a sitter for 2 hours every week - the sitter is a SAHM I met in birthing class and she has a daughter a little over a year older than her son (who is a couple months older than ds). We do Music Together classes once a week. Now we just added storytime at the library once a week. DS is very cautious and spends most of the time at Music Together just observing, though he loves music. So I am cocerned about his social development since he is so reserved - I...
I think it could be both experience (yelling leads to something worse) and temperament - either one. We do not spank ds or even yell at him. Discipline at our house is to ask him where a favorite toy is (Where is the monkey?). Anything harsher than that, such as a No, results in tears as though we have crushed his spirit. It's just his nature. On one hand, he's very easy to guide. On the other hand, you really cannot lose it with him even if he has innocently done...
DS is 16 months and rear-facing in our Wizard. Occassionally someone says something to me about how he would be happier sitting facing forward but I ignore them. If I say anything, I tell them I had it inspected, 4 out of 5 carseats are installed incorrectly, and ours was one of the 1 in 5 that was installed correctly - that shuts them up. Rear-facing until 33 pounds for us. As long as ds doesn't know any better, I doubt he'll care. But it does make me ill when I see...
I think when you're self-employed it's a completely different situation. Returning to work is something you can do gradually - you aren't expected to work certain hours and commit to a certain level of being there. I was working full-time before ds was born, but didn't go back and have pursued my own stuff (direct sales) instead. As my business has grown, I've thought long and hard about what I will do next time. I think for the first three months, the baby will go...
My first knitting project was the LTK soaker. Theresa gives great instructions in her patterns so as long as you know how to cast on, knit, purl and bind off, she tells you everything else you need to know. I second the recommendation to check out the woolywonder forums.
Yes, DH says that DS is much fussier when I'm around. When I'm gone and he knows it, he just plays happily and doesn't fuss much. But when I'm home, he'll play but then he fusses. Obviously I'm not here when I'm gone so I can't compare and contrast. However, I do know that when ever I sit down ds wants to nurse, even if he just nursed a half hour ago and he'll fuss because he wants to nurse. I really don't encourage the fussing, but I do get tired of ds thinking that...
I asked my ped about this Friday - we had a special appt because my family is concerned about ds's "oral development" at 16 months. Here is what my doctor said: He has 12 kids. His oldest didn't talk until he was 3 and couldn't really be understood until he was 5. But of all his kids, my doctor thinks that son is the most intelligent. He has another kid who talked in complete sentences at 16 months. He said it was unbelievable - no kid talks like that at that age....