or Connect

Posts by Okapi

I use You Need a Budget, and I really like it. When I first got it I only used it for a month or two & then got overwhelmed and stopped for a couple months. When I started up again, I started using the import feature (I can export right from my bank account) and that makes it much easier. It was around $60, I think, which I felt like was a lot of money, but it has been so worth it. I've been using it for a year now so I was able to see what we spent in different categories...
He is the one who is motivated to buy. She has told him that she is considering divorce in the heat of argument (did not intend to), & he did not take her seriously, so she would like to keep it that way for now. Also the statistics are what, 7 tries to leave an abusive relationship? Realistically it will still be a while. She did at one point open a bank account he did not know of, but she has since told him about it & she has been working on improving her credit. And...
Hoping for some advice from those who have BTDT. A friend is in a mentally/emotionally/financially abusive relationship. She is a SAHM. Currently they are renting a home & her name is not on the lease, which he sometimes holds over her head. They are thinking of buying a house, and she is wondering if it would be better in the long run to fight to get her name on deed, or if that would just be one more hassle to deal with if/when they divorce (if it matters, is she working...
We got a mini crib for DD1 when she outgrew the cosleeper b/c the regular crib didn't fit in our room. She probably would have fit in it until (maybe even past) 3, but she had started wanting to sleep in her own room by then, and already had a regular sized crib-turned-toddler bed in there. It was nice because it folded up & fit in the back of our CRV when we traveled, so she had some continuity for bed time. DD2 (12 months) is using it now, and likely will until she's...
Thanks for the ideas! I will check out the Boglehead forum, and I guess start doing some research.
My IRA is with Principle. It was a rollover from a 401K w/ them when the company I was working for got bought out. The statements they sent always said I needed to send a min. of $500. Perhaps I was misunderstanding something?   As far as taking it in and out, I guess that's another question I have. One of the examples they give is a wedding 5 years out. Is that too short term? Not that I'm planning a wedding, but we are hoping to do a big family vacation in 5-7...
Thanks! I guess my only question with those is, how easy is it to get money in & out? Will I end up having to call them, or send things through the mail? Things like that get on my todo list, but never seem to happen, whereas it looks like everything I would want to do with Betterment is right there on the website.   ETA - and with Betterment, it looks like you can just add any amount of money you want at anytime (with a min. of $100/mo), which is also appealing -...
Any recommendations for treat or puzzle toys for dogs? We have a 6 mo old lab mix ( ~30 lbs). He really likes the buster cube, but I wanted to get him something else to mix it up a little for him.
Another thing I would do is only pack my tops that would show as little as possible while nursing, and then wear tanks under them. That way, once she is latched on, there's really nothing to see, you know?
I have been considering using Betterment (https://www.betterment.com) for longer term savings/investment and was wondering if anyone here has used it, or alternatively, considered it and decided not to. I am not very savvy WRT investments (and, frankly, have no interest in becoming so), so I am looking for something pretty simple (and I like the low deposit requirements).