or Connect

Posts by Flor

Where it gets tricky is that a lot of us aren't every-other-weekend-when-you-visit stepmoms. Dh has had full physical custody of dss for 13 years (he's 16  now). He has not seen his mom in 2.5 years (his choice--addiction, jail time, etc. etc.). I know I am the primary motherish figure, and he wants me to be. I still call her mom, and know that it is important that someday he has a relationship with her. But what I'm saying is--all situations are different. In most...
And, now that ds is in an elementary Montessori program (he's 8) they have started a lot more storytelling, myths, origin stories, fantasy writing, etc. The focus in the early years is on learning what is actually in the world. As GuideJen said, they use that later for imagination, creation, etc.
Regarding subtracting fiber-- my endo said that it was invented by Atkins and may or may not work for weightloss but is unreliable for diabetics. She says all food will raise your BS-- proteins, fat, too, but we only focus on carbs because they do it so quickly. Fiber may slow the rise of bs in some people but not others. The American Diabetes Association seems to split the difference. it says that if a food has more than 5 g of fiber you can subtract half of it. But,...
And to add to the confusion, my dss's mom would call herself the "biological mom" when she used to introduce herself to teachers and such who were used to dealing with me (I always introduce myself as the stepmom). In my head I probably think of her as the "biomom" since dss hasn't seen her in almost 3 years and she has not been very present in his life. Though,  she likes to yell things like "I'm the REAL mom and nothing can change that!" But on this board I just use...
I did take dramamine for a boat trip when I was in the middle of the morning sickness. It is ok to take occasionally (though there was some special direction-- think it was just get regular not the non drowsy). I've learned that some women actually take it long term for morning sickness, so I think taking it once or twice is just fine. The nice side effect was that I didn't throw up ALL day, not just on the boat!
Emmaegbert-- do you happen to know the carb count of these treats? I'm fascinated, but I have one of those docs who only allows 15g carb snacks and 30g lunch/dinner, no subtracting fiber, so I keept finding that even diabetic desserts have too many carbs for me! Going to goodle the avo/chocolate thing.
Your plan seems reasonable. I was going to say that the courts here would probably calculate your income as more than $500 a month since you have made more in the past and are "choosing" to work less. They usually calculate using either full time min. wage, or they can choose to calculate what you could make if you were working full time based on your education and past work history. Sounds like you thought of that. 
I don't know if there is a way around clinginess. Dss has always lived with dh, but when he went with mom, he'd cry. When he came back to dad, he'd cry. It's just sad to miss one parent every day! I do think kids are pretty flexible. A lot of people say that kids need one stable home with visitation at the other (I believed that at one point), but kids are different, and many do fine with having two houses. I do think it gets more complicated when mom or dad have more...
Hmm. We also have a truly toxic ex wife around here, with many mental and addiction issues. Dss also just refers to her by her first name. Dh has had full physical custody of dss since he was 3. Her younger children have been removed from her care and she has been jailed for child endangerment, probabtion violation, and drug possession (just adding this as my BTDT and I'm not just subjectively calling her toxic, the courts have as well).   How old is your...
I agree it is a good idea to test yourself for a while and see what your numbers are. A lot of us have few/no risk factors and eat very healthy-- it isn't our fault, it just happens! If you do have GD I think it is important to find out as soon as necessasry even if it does mean an induction. My ONE big goal for this pregnancy was no induction, and I've had to give that up, I know I'll have one (I also have a kidney issue), but not everyone does.