or Connect

Posts by Flor

My child can be STUBBORN at home, and I was really worried about him doing the same to his teachers, but kids are different at home. I had no idea. He has no issue cleaning up water at school, but at home sometimes it's no issue, sometimes it's fun, and sometimes he'd fight to the death to not do it. There are something things he doesn't feel comfortable doing, like for a while, circle time or singing, but the teachers were very understanding. I think they could see...
I'm not sure if I'm what you are looking for. I teach English to English learners, with an English-only curriculum.
Quote: Originally Posted by GuildJenn I'm very aware of the experiment and have seen the movie. I personally believe that the children were told that it was a great lesson and they responded by believing that too. Alice Miller's writings give a lot of insight into why children NEED to believe in the goodness of the adults around them, even as old as grade 8. When I was a child I certainly believed the way the adults around me ran things were how they...
Quote: Originally Posted by GuildJenn This makes me so mad. Especially, and no offense intended to you Flor, that teachers seems to have been taught that this lesson/experiment is somehow "effective." Learning requires a general feeling of security, for the most part. When I took adult education classes they talked a lot about setting up a learning environment, respecting the adults, letting them know what would happen, and being sensitive to people...
There have been times when I felt comfortable picking up the phone and asking questions, taking younger ds over to play with her younger sons, going to dss's swim practice together, etc. But, whenever she and dh get into it, she calls him horrible names and says horrible things about him and the past. I find that hard to get over. I mean, I don't have any other friends who have screamed "m-fer" to my hubby. She's also and addict and I try not to make new relationships with...
Dh's ex has done a number on our credit, too. His fault for not following up and making sure his name was off of things. As a teacher, I just wanted to point out that "award winning" doesn't mean more money, and I'm head of my department and it gets me a whopping $162 extra dollars a month. And, of course, her live-in boyfriend's money doesn't count (but, hey, neither does yours!).
Quote: Originally Posted by Qestia I wonder how these things get approved. I do research for a university. If I want to survey students--a voluntary survey about their experiences--I have to get the approval of an institutional review board (IRB). I mean, I know this isn't strictly research, but it seems like best practices to adopt some common IRB protocols, such as informed consent (subjects have a right to know what's going on, for...
My school is actually 2-6 in the primary. I wonder if they are divided like that because they have 2 yos. I think a lot of schools have this situation where they want to take 2 year olds, (there is differently licensing for under 2's so many don't want to do an infant/toddler program, they just add the 2's to the Children't House) but then it give you 2-6, a large age span and maybe too many kids. So, I wonder if that is why they are dividing like that.
Quote: Originally Posted by hedgewitch My ds also loves doing 'real' things with us. He will abandon anything he is playing with in favour of vacuuming or washing up or cooking. He also loves helping his dad build or deconstruct things and really loves working with tools. I can't wait until we start our new garden in the spring, he will love it! To be honest I am no good at sitting down and just playing trains or blocks, I really need a practical...
Quote: Originally Posted by dis Sounds like they completely missed the key part of the study, which is you have to reverse the roles at some point to teach how arbitrary discrimination can be. Doesn't sound well-handled at all. That's what I was going to say. It can be a good experience, and it is a very famous "project" that many classes do, but I'd never touch it because I don't trust myself to run it perfectly. The roles have to be...