or Connect

Posts by ErikaS57

I think things really changed around 6 months... she was getting too long to do the football hold easily, and her head control was good, so we switched to cradle. When i feed her on the left, the arm of the couch provides perfect support. When it's time for the right, I bunch up a fleece blanket under my arm/elbow, or switch to the other end of the couch.
Estimate of what I've spent: 2 breastpumps ($300 each) Deep freezer ($500) couple thousand milk storage bags ($400+) Many kinds of bottles - picky baby ($100) Extra pump flanges ($75) Storage bottles ($50) Nursing tops ($400) Nursing bras ($100) Nursing pads ($100) Books ($100) Supplements ($50) Now, most of those are estimates, and it's for 2 kids. Also some weren't "needs", but "nice to haves". Oh, and there's the bundle of $$ I spent trying to find a...
I usually try to pump right after a feeding for that reason, but earlier this week I pumped right before bed (10PM), as DD goes to bed at 7 and I like to empty out before I head up. So I get all tucked into bed and 'waaaah'. Yeah she was up. Even though I felt empty, I was able to feed her and settle her back into bed. I got at least 2 letdowns that I felt, so I don't think the pumping hurt too much, just took her a tad longer than usual.
I dumped the formula out and then cut off the 'Similac' tag so that they aren't getting any free advertising out of me. I do use the bag on occasion - usually to hold a spare change of clothes for the kids (not enough room in the main diaper bag for everything lol).
Maybe try one of the cloth diaper trials? There are several out there that let you try out an assortment of diapers for 14, 21, or 30 days for about $20 + a deposit. You then return whatever you don't want, and they credit you for what you returned. I just ordered one from Mom's Milk Boutique and can't wait. Jillian's Drawers and Diaper Daisy (as well as other sites) have trials as well. I figure I can see how it works (I work full-time, so am a bit nervous), and if...
My second was over 9 pounds when born. The doctors said that since she was bigger, her blood sugar might go down & they wanted to test her after each of the first 4 feedings. So... we got those first 4 out of the way very quickly lol. Then it was clear sailing. She did lose 9.5% of her body weight BUT no one ever suggested supplementing (unlike with my first). She had a good latch & I think they knew that once my milk was in we'd be fine (well, except for the...
I also have an over-the door hanger with 10 or 12 hooks. carriers go in small drawstring bags that get hung up. slings just get hung by themselves to avoid lots of wrinkles. it's in my laundry room, right near the garage so I can easily grab a sling and go.
I wouldn't use a used pump, personally. Instead, I'd suggest the Ameda Purely Yours. It's about $150 for just the pump, more if you get a bag/backpack with it (but you can use any old bag really). It gets great reviews, is quite powerful (I'd say as powerful as the Medela), and it's a bargain at that price. As for ounces... a good rule of thumb is 1-1.25oz/hour that you're away. And more frequent, smaller bottles is good too. I'd probably try 3oz bottles to start...
The problem with insisting on "modesty" is who defines modest? And, what if baby has other plans? I think 99% of women out there are modest, but yeah, occasionally a nipple pops out or whatever. Laws with a modesty clause could get these women kicked out of public places even when they are trying to be modest. Also, there are many people out there that think you can't be modest without wearing a nursing cover or a blanket (so not true). So you've got a ton of...
I bring 6 4oz mother's milkmate bottles to work and pump into those (I double pump 3x a day). When I get home, I make up 3oz bottles with those, then stick my pump parts, my pumping bottles, and the bottles DD had during the day into the dishwasher. Everything is ready to go again in the morning. I only use the plastic bags for excess that I freeze.