or Connect

Posts by fiddledebi

I have three Cosco Alpha Omega seats (one in my car, one in DH's car, one in grandma's car). They have a manufacture date of March 2003, but do not show an expiration date anywhere. I have heard that the AO are good for 8 years, which would give us 2 more years in them, but I've also heard 6, which would mean we should get new seats right now. DD2, who uses these, is a little bitty 3.5 yo at just over 25 pounds, so she'll be in a 5pt harness for years and years more. If...
Wednesday night I made the "Veggie Lunch Meat" from VeganDad (lord, I love that blog!), but instead of slicing it thin like lunch meat, I sliced it about twice as thick, dipped it in soymilk and dredged it in flour, and pan-fried it in EB with some sliced mushrooms and garlic. Mmmm, it was good. We had it with steamed broccoli on the side. Now I have to figure out how to slice it thin enough for sandwiches. Last night I made my favorite chickpea soup and two loaves of...
Last night we had black beans and rice. Tonight is macaroni & cheese (again!) - actual cheese for the kids and DH, and nutritional yeast & EB for me. Oh yes, and peas. Not my most creative night!
How funny -- both the things that previous posters have said make for yucky broth for them make for wonderful broth for me! I put all my scraps in the freezer bags, like them, but I definitely include broccoli. In fact, I usually include LOTS of broccoli -- the base of every head we eat goes into broth. I've never had sulfur-y smelling broth! I take the about 1/2 a gallon ziplock of veggie scraps (usually broccoli, green bean tips, potato peels & ends, onion peels &...
Last night I shamefully dropped some baked boca chik'n nuggets into a bowl and covered them with steamed veggies and sweet-n-sour sauce. It was good, though, and took less than 15 minutes! Right now I'm making a potato and broccoli-with-asian-dressing frittata. It smells HEAVENLY! We'll have it with homemade million-grain bread. :
We are happily munching macaroni & cheez sauce, with peas & corn! :
Sunday night I made the most AMAZING gluten cutlets, basically using this recipe from VeganDad: Seitan Scaloppine, but I used white wine instead of marsala, since that's all I had. It was OUT OF THIS WORLD. I served it with fresh rolls and steamed broccoli. We also made the almond shortcakes from his blog, but I don't like how they came out -- like heavy scones, not very good flavor. Last night the kids and I were full from snacking all afternoon as we watched movies...
This week got away from me! Monday I made honey-baked lentils and cous-cous, and that lasted for several lunches and dinners for some of us. : Tuesday I actually gave in and made boxed macaroni & cheese for the kids and even oven-baked french fries! DH and I ate leftover vegan brie and focaccia from Sunday (the brie was AWESOME!) and soup from Friday. Wednesday I made noodles with margarine and nutritional yeast and vegan parmesan -- just couldn't get my act...
Is your 13mo still nursing? That's the best beverage for him, IMO! If not, I have seen some great recipes around for seed-based milks or smoothies. You could try yogurt drinks like kefir, either dairy-based or soy-based, depending on your opinions on either dairy or soy. Water is ok for a 13 month old as long as he's getting plenty of nutrition in what he eats. HTH!
We've made that soup last for several nights now... We're having it again tonight, with the focaccia bread from V'con and a vegan brie from The UnCheese Cookbook. I've never made the brie before, so I'll let you know how it goes. The flavor seemed awesome when I tasted it as I was putting it in the dish to set. Seems like lots of folks (like me) aren't cooking much these days? Or just not posting?