or Connect

Posts by fiddledebi

Over the weekend, my DDs experienced the finest cuisine available at the waterpark: nachos with cheese sauce. Blech! DD1 asked if I could make some for her today. Blech blech blech! So, I'm going to make a nutritional yeast cheez sauce and some noodles, perhaps with some peas and carrots, to make it a vegan version of garbage food. I hope she goes for it!!!
Sure, no problem! Vegetable-Seitan Pot Pie Ingredients: Two 9” pie crusts (I use Mrs. Smith's frozen crusts) 1 tbsp margarine 1 small onion, chopped 3 ribs celery, chopped 2 carrots, peeled & sliced ½ cup frozen peas, thawed ½ cup frozen corn, thawed 1 8oz package seitan, cut into tiny cubes 1 envelope vegetarian brown gravy OR 1 cup gravy of your own Preparation: Preheat the oven to 350. Press one crust into a pan, poke holes into the bottom and...
Tonight we're having a defrosted seitan pot pie I made and forgot to bring to Thanksgiving dinner. I'll probably slice up some mango to have with it, but it's such a heavy, hearty pie that we don't need anything else. Tomorrow, I *swear* I'll cook something!
Definitely! I made a version of honey-baked lentils last week like this: 1 cup red lentils 1/2 cup quinoa 3 cups water 3 tbsp honey 3 tbsp soysauce or tamari 3 tbsp olive oil 3/4 tsp ginger 2 clove garlic 1 small onion 2 handfuls of baby carrots (maybe 20?) salt & pepper to taste I stuck it all in an oven-safe dish and cooked it in the oven at 350 for 90 minutes. It was an amazing daal -- you could kind of see the little curly "tails" of quinoa in it, but...
So far, no one has given me any ideas, star792, but I did use the liquid that strained out of the "yogurt cheese" to make some wonderful pancakes. I don't know that I'll always have a use for that, though, and in the long run, I don't want it to take two days and two batches of yogurt through the yogurt maker to give me one quart of yogurt, kwim?
Just a note about Honey-Baked Lentils. I've made them with green and red lentils, and think the red are FAR superior. When I make this, the lentils essentially "melt" into a daal-like substance, kind of a mush the consistency of mashed potatoes. I cooked them recently with some baby carrots, and this had the effect of making them extra sweet and very bright yellow! It was a huge hit. I snuck some quinoa in there too. This is a wonderful recipe, probably one of my very...
I am really excited about the flavor of the soy yogurt I've made! It's just perfect. I used a Plain Wholesoy yogurt as a starter, and commercial vanilla soymilk, and I have now tried two different thickeners... Agar flakes just created little jelly-like nibs in my soygurt. They didn't taste bad, but I want creamy thick soygurt! Fruit pectin didn't seem to do anything. I've put the yogurt through a yogurt cheese maker to eliminate the liquid, and THAT makes it just...
This sounds ridiculous to me, too. Could you ever imagine a campaign by a company trying to get people to eat feline meat that dressed the cats up as chickens to advertise that "it tastes just like chicken?" I often wonder if PETA ever uses focus-groups. Their marketing campaigns, while certainly admirable in their goals, are often just laughable. Are they trying to really convince the mainstream folks to be kinder to animals, or are they just trying to make people feel...
Tonight we're having honey-baked lentils, which I hope will miraculously cook in time for dinner. I added some quinoa and carrots to the mix, with a little extra water to soak into the quinoa. I hope it comes out ok! I'll probably also make some rice.
What about savory whole wheat crepes for breakfast? I saw a vegan crepe recipe somewhere (was it in VWAV?). You could fill it with sauteed mushrooms and potatoes (my favorite), or tofu scramble, or mashed curried beans, or just about anything!