or Connect

Posts by fiddledebi

I have two HUGE heads of cabbage from our last month of farm boxes. I imagine I need to use them soon. Tonight I used about 3/4 of another head -- just chopped it up and sauteed it with onion, olive oil, salt and pepper. I loved it. The kids and DH, not so much. If you had a ton of cabbage, what would you make?
Quote: Originally Posted by eco_mama so thanks again fiddledebi for the crockpot lentils recipe. i started it this morning and looking forward to eating it tonight! No problem! It was great and so easy...I hope you enjoy it. Tonight the kids have requested crustless quiche, which I think I'll make with some corn fritters. It's been an egg-y week, not my favorite, but when we're in a rush, it's easy. All the good freezer stash of leftovers is...
At that age, I just said "That's meat. We don't eat that, but lots of other people do."
DD1 is having an early dinner at a friend's house and DH is eating out with one of HIS friends, so DD2 and I are making something simple. I'm cooking some Israeli couscous (aka pearl couscous) with some garlic olive oil and curry powder, and sauteeing some crumbled vegetable patties from Costco with some olive oil and mushrooms. We'll mix it together. As of this moment, DD2 is eating blueberries so fast that I'm not sure how much dinner she'll really eat anyway!
A friend of mine makes a simple white sauce (flour, fat, water, etc.) and adds lots of fresh dill to it. It makes a wonderful sauce for boiled potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
We had a great dal tonight! Here's the recipe -- tossed in the crockpot at 2:45 and eaten with gusto just after 6. Crockpot Egyptian Lentils and Rice 6 servings 1 c brown or pink lentils, washed & picked over 3/4 ts Salt 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive oil 1 cup (1 lg) Onion, chopped 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1 tablespoon cumin, ground 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground 1/2 cup uncooked rice 5-6 cups water Place the olive oil (all of it) into the bottom of the crock pot....
We all love the chickpea cutlets around here, but other favorites are: Fresh Rosemary Focaccia Bread - way easy and so delicious that I bought a rosemary plant so we could make it year round! Chickpea Noodle Soup - leftovers are in my fridge right now! Leek & White Bean Cassoulet - a lot of work, but delicious and lasts for days Tamarind Lentils - a TON of work when you can't find tamarind paste, but just delicious Israeli Couscous with apricots & pistachios...
Time to start the November thread! Tonight I'm going to make the chickpea noodle soup from V'con for my poor DD1 who had a tooth extracted today. We made stock from scraps this weekend and the house smelled AWESOME. I'm excited to put some of it to use. We'll probably have it with some steamed broccoli and applesauce -- a mushy meal for all. This will be the first week since June with no farm box -- and I'm trying to decide what to do about produce for the winter....
My DD2 is 3 years old but very small -- about the size of your average 2 year old. She is currently riding in a convertible Cosco seat that we bought for her older sister about 5 years ago -- so I know it needs to be replaced, right? Isn't that about the limit on seats? So, assuming that I need to get rid of this convertible seat and buy her a new one (it'll be years before she can be in a booster), what can I do with the old one so that it doesn't just end up taking...
DD2 and I had a blast today making use of a pumpkin from our farm box. We spent a good half-hour just scooping the seeds into a bowl, then we roasted them with garlic salt and margarine. Once we had the ooze cleaned out, we cooked the pumpkin, scooped it out of the skin, and pureed the flesh. Then we sat back and looked at it and DD2 toddled off to play while I figured out what to do with it! We ended up making an edited version of the V'Con pumpkin baked ziti. I made...