or Connect

Posts by fiddledebi

Quote: Originally Posted by robina_josephine mmmmm i would LOVE this recipe. if it's not a family secret, anyway! No problem! Grandma Dorothy's Apricot Noodle Kugel -------------------------------------- Topping: --------- 3 cups crushed Corn Flakes ½ cup sugar ¾ stick margarine, melted 1 tsp cinnamon Casserole: ---------- ¾ stick margarine, melted 12oz bag egg noodles ½ cup sugar 3 oz cream cheese (dairy or soy - I use...
With a kid that little, I would just be matter of fact about it: "That's meat, honey. You and I don't eat meat. Would you like some beans, or some corn, or some bread and hummus or..." If she asks why, you can say "Because I like us to eat other things" or "Because I don't think meat is good for our bodies" or "Because I don't want to eat food that comes from an animal" -- whatever your reasons are. I love the book "Herb the Vegetarian Dragon." It's about a...
Last night was DD1's school's multicultural potluck, so we were supposed to bring a dish from our "heritage." I made a sweet noodle kugel, my grandma's recipe found 50 years after her death in a distant cousin's drawer. So good! Not vegan, but dairy-free anyway. The bad news is we got there late, so most people had eaten already by the time we put the kugel on the table. The good news is that most people had eaten already by the time we put the kugel on the table, so we...
Last night's dinner was uninspired, but lunch was fun. We took some leftover sauteed exotic mushrooms and cubed potatoes and added soy creamer, some chopped up tofurkey breakfast sausage, and more margarine, and cooked them until the creamer made a gravy-like sauce. Then I made whole wheat crepes and filled them with the mixture. We had it with a salad and some apple-raisin cake. Delicious!!!
Last night I made a great but time-consuming and mess-creating dinner... Cabbage & Beet Borscht Golden Brussels Sprouts Kohlrabi Hashbrowns Zucchini bread with homemade apple butter Tonight I am feeling lazy...made my new favorite tofu nuggets recipe (baked not fried).
Hi Mamas, DD2's preschool/daycare is actively seeking several good teachers. The kids in the center range from 6 weeks to 5 years old. It is a Childtime franchise run by a wonderful attached mama. They are struggling to recruit good teachers, and are actively interviewing. Many teachers there have kids in school (either at the center/preschool or in elementary or middle school), and the director is very flexible about that. If you want more information for yourself...
We had honey-baked lentils, steamed broccoli, and hearty bread. A nice chilly weather meal!
We had a busy weekend, but it included a great Saturday night dinner party here. I made a really yummy meal -- not all vegan, but mostly... Squash soup -- just a ton of squash boiled until it was falling apart, then added stock, soy creamer, nutmeg, and cinnamon. It was sublime! Apricot noodle kugle -- this had some eggs in it. It was my grandmother's recipe, and still great. "Mimi Bread" -- a recipe for a HEARTY heavy wheat bread from my friend in Alaska who...
I have no advice, but just wonder if maybe your three year old and my three year old are sending each other secret emails to compare notes and bone up on new strategies. In other words, SAME STUFF GOING ON HERE.
I have a beautiful collection of winter squashes on my counter, and I'd like to make a soup with them this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have no idea what some of these are: -1 pumpkin (about the size of a small cabbage) -2 8-inch yellowish long squashes, about the thickness of a big cuke, with orange stripes -3 whiteish round squashes with green stripes, each about the size of a big heirloom tomato -3 acorn squash, ranging in size from the biggest...