or Connect

Posts by peainthepod

I cut my parents off and as a result, will surely miss lots of family events that I would have otherwise attended. It's sad but completely necessary for my mental health and safety. I know plenty of people may see it as "selfish", but they don't live my life, nor do they have to deal with the PTSD symptoms that come back after any contact with my abusers. There is no age limit on deciding not to tolerate toxic people anymore. Cutting contact is rarely a popular choice...
I'd post more but the unbelievable number of flashing ads drive me crazy and often crash my browser. I also don't appreciate seeing ads for things like Totino's Pizza Rolls or some other junk food on this site. I know they have to make money but I've been a member of plenty of other large message boards that didn't compromise their stated values so blatantly. Also, the combative snark is beyond boring and it's so tedious to read yet another thread that was...
I so sympathize. I used to be a chronic late night overeater and I think it was a combination of boredom (because I was just sitting around reading and waiting for DH after the kids were asleep) and poor nutrition overall. Eating enough protein early in the day definitely helps, as does giving myself permission to snack on genuinely healthy things when my tummy rumbles.   It took me a long time to learn what "healthy" means, though. Raw fruits and vegetables and to a...
1 slice of raisin and nut whole grain toast with a tablespoon of almond butter 1 banana or apple 2 cups of black unsweetened coffee   Sometimes I have low-fat Greek yogurt and granola or a bowl of cottage cheese with berries instead of the almond buttered toast, but that's my standard pre-run meal. It's about 290-310 calories, depending. I tend to eat most of my calories earlier in the day so breakfast can be bigger, especially if I'm planning on a long run later.
Yogurt, sweet potatoes, blueberries, bananas, steamed broccoli...and steamed carrots, cottage cheese, avocado, diced raw apple, heavily buttered whole wheat pasta, brown rice, bites of whatever we're eating, etc. The list seems endless--she'll eat anything at this point (11 months). She's a bottomless pit and her latest nickname is "Tank". 
Mine are 23 months apart and we are just now, a few weeks shy of DD's first birthday, getting into a sane routine and having days where I don't feel like tearing my hair out. There have been many times when I've wanted to run screaming out the front door and never return.    I think it would have been much easier on us if we'd waited another year to conceive our second. We don't regret a minute of it but having them so close together has been completely exhausting...
You don't have to see a pediatrician, nor do you have to do well baby visits if you don't want to. Our first pediatrician, who is very pro-vax, told me explicitly that well baby visits more than once a year are strictly to administer vaccines. She encouraged me not to schedule them if we weren't vaxing.   Now we see a GP and it's much more laid-back in general. I don't take them in unless they have symptoms. Weight, height, and other measurements can be done at...
I run and plan to try them eventually. I've heard really good things about them from other runners, though I understand they take some getting used to. I do wonder how practical they are in cold/icy weather. My toes get cold easily and I'd hate to risk frostbite on a run! Are any of them waterproof?
Having our nanny has been life-changing. She allows DH and me to have time together as a couple and we're so happy knowing that our children are with a woman who genuinely loves them and is interested in playing with them, spending time with them, and keeping them safe. We travel a lot and have no family nearby and know no other local parents while we're in different cities, so having a trusted caregiver for our children keeps us sane and able to take time for ourselves....
"I understand you feel strongly about this, but our decision is final."   "Thank you so much for wanting to help, but we already have caregivers during the day. We'd love to visit more often, though!"   "You are so sweet to offer but it's already taken care of. How about we [random plans that you actually want to do] next weekend?"   "I think we've already made it clear that that arrangement won't work for us. Thanks for your generous offer, though!"...