or Connect

Posts by peainthepod

Good riddance. They do us all a favor when they demonstrate what little regard they have for the patient's right to informed consent. Anyone who gets "fired" (yeah right, as if you work for them and not vice versa) by such a physician has just dodged a bullet. It's win-win, really. 
It's not illegal to allow your child's healthy immune system to function properly, as it was designed. No one can force you to vaccinate your child without a court order, and those are very rare and limited to extremely specific circumstances. Do you have any reason to believe you're at risk for being reported to CPS, or is it merely because your child is vaccine-free? Barring other reasons to suspect abuse or neglect, CPS isn't going to investigate you simply because...
Some of that isn't my style but it's working for your family, so why sweat it? I won't bother listing the ways I parent differently because it really doesn't matter. If your child is healthy, happy, and whole, you're doing it right.    If your friend wasn't just teasing you and genuinely cringes because of your different choices, it could be that she feels somewhat insecure about her own. I find that the more confident I am in my own parenting, the less I care about...
Snark has its time and place. Menopausal women perhaps shouldn't throw change-of-life stones at heavily pregnant ones, especially after being politely asked to stop by multiple people on separate occasions. I hope by that age I'll have the social graces not to be such a rude clod but if I am, I fully expect to be put in my place if necessary (I do hope it isn't necessary! How embarrassing...).
Eh, if they can dish it out they can take it. If not, they'll stop dishing it out.   When I was pregnant with my first, an older woman acquaintance repeatedly asked me embarrassing questions about my bladder, weight gain, etc. in front of other people as well as made jokes about how fat I was getting and how much more I was eating than everyone else. I laughed it off the first few times but as the pregnancy went on and I got more and more irritable, I finally loudly...
    I hear you. My brother and I used to be best friends, inseparable. When I cut our bioparents out of my life, he cut me out of his without further ado. I still struggle with that but in the end, I was forced to accept the indisputable fact that healthy adults don't try to dictate the terms of other adults' relationships. He told me outright that my decision to "destroy the family" (walk away until/unless my bioparents decided to treat me better) was the reason he would...
And to answer the question about whether it was hard to make peace, yeah. It was at first. When you grow up in a toxic family, you have a lot of deprogramming to do on yourself before you can get better. You have to learn how to ignore or shout down that ugly voice in your head--their voice--that's constantly pointing out your flaws and mistakes and the inevitability of failure. You have to learn what healthy boundaries are, in all of your relationships and interactions...
Of course they'll blame you. But they already do anyway, right? You and I both know that they never take responsibility for their own actions. Ever. That's a huge part of what makes them toxic and not just "irritating" or "difficult" or whatever other euphemism you want to use for people who drive you up the wall. Toxic people scapegoat. They blame shift. They gaslight. Nothing short of total subservience to them will ever make them like you--and even then, it probably...
I like using bland, unanswerable responses that leave no doubt how you feel about the advice-giver but are impeccably polite.   "How kind of you to notice." [walk away or change subject]   "Oh, goodness, I can't believe you'd ask such a personal question." [walk away or change subject]   "Well, bless your heart." [walk away or change subject]   "Things sure have changed since your children were small, haven't they?" [walk away or change...
Walking away from my toxic family of origin was the best decision I ever made. I chose to stop allowing them to corrode my very existence. I have no contact whatsoever with either of my bioparents and am now thriving without their lethal, soul-killing influence. I used to be crippled by anxiety and depression, self-esteem problems, agoraphobia, physical pain related to anxiety, and various other psychological, emotional, and physical issues that have literally all but...