or Connect

Posts by peainthepod

There is no amount of money and no great deal on land that's worth more than your mental and physical health. Unless you literally need this money to eat and/or have a roof over your head, I don't see why you'd stick it out. A lot can happen before December and it sounds like your employer's behavior is getting progressively more abusive.   You're worth a whole lot more than $500/month, although I'm sure they've done a bang-up job of convincing you otherwise. These...
I'm no GD guru but I think the idea is that time outs are punitive instead of a natural consequence for the naughty behavior. Giving your child a time out because he intentionally spilled his drink all over the floor to see what would happen isn't a natural consequence; having him help you clean it up is. Does that make sense? We give time outs when our son is being physically violent, but that's the only time. If he can't control his hands, he obviously needs to be...
I'm glad someone found it useful! I was a little overcaffeinated when I posted that this morning. 
Disclaimer: I'm not a physical trainer or nutritionist, just a fitness junkie who has been into it for many years and reads a lot about diet and exercise. I run twenty miles a week and take an intense fitness class twice a week to stay in shape, and maintain a very clean diet while breastfeeding a ten-month-old. Right now I'm pretty much at my goal weight and just working on meeting my own running goals and toning up.   Hey, mama!   When you say your belly is...
When DS was a few months old I found a very long strand of spaghetti nestled softly in one of his neck folds. We'd just come back from an Italian restaurant.    I also once dropped a large chunk of onion out of a falafel sandwich onto his bare head while he was sleeping at the breast. He smelled a little rank for a while even after I washed it off.   DD has been spared this indignity so far. Maybe I'm just better at eating one-handed now.
Whether I think life is inherently hard seems to be dependent on my emotional and mental health at the time I consider the question. When I'm depressed and unmotivated, it seems unbearably hard even though I know, rationally and comparatively, that I live a very comfortable life. When I'm healthy and feel more ready to handle unexpected challenges, life seems almost not hard enough. My biggest problem is I have trouble slowing down and enjoying the easier times because...
I don't let toxic people have access to my children (or myself, for that matter).   I'm sorry your mother is the way she is and wish I had better advice for you. That kind of passive aggressive behavior can be so hurtful, which, I believe, is the point.
Thank you so much for this! I just wanted to let you know that I've been positively living in this super easy style with my very long hair: Easy Historical Hair   I do a few things to keep from getting too frumpy. One is that I make myself run six days a week. We've been out of town on business since like March and staying in various places that have gyms. So rather than try to do a set route through neighborhoods to get mileage, I just use any treadmill that's...
Oh, I am so, so sorry! We left NYC just as the bedbug epidemic was really starting to hit and since we've been gone, we've known so many people with bedbugs. They're everywhere now--it doesn't seem to matter how clean you keep your place or how careful you are. All it takes is one or two and you've got an infestation. I've even heard that they can jump on people from wooden subway benches, movie theater seats, changing rooms in clothing stores, people's pant legs (don't...
Encapsulating and consuming my placenta (twice!) has probably elicited the most  expressions from the few people who know about it. There's other stuff that they think is silly or crazy, of course...cleaning with vinegar, homebirth, extended breastfeeding, eating strictly organic and whole foods, cosleeping...   ...but the placentophagy is the one that really makes 'em squirm.