or Connect

Posts by peainthepod

I'm sincerely glad you're able to travel in ways that work for your family. 
DH and I were taking cross-country road trips for fun long before we had kids; it's something we've always enjoyed doing as a family. For us, it's not unrealistic or over the top at all--we just have to plan ahead, map our route very carefully, and allow for a lot more time to get there and back. What you see as cooped up in the car, we see as getting a chance to spend time together checking out weird little places that we normally wouldn't see or visit. It is annoying...
At what age will we let them be electronically strip-searched, irradiated, and/or sexually molested by a federal employee?   Never.   Or I guess the more realistic answer is, when they're 18 and it's not our decision anymore. I would like to believe that things will change before then but if they don't, they don't. It's possible that our children will be strong enough to opt out and resist any attempts to molest them by the TSA before the age of 18, but that's not really...
It's an example of a TSA leader who turned out to be a creep and a sex offender. I'm not sure why that wouldn't be relevant to a discussion about whether the TSA is to be blindly trusted. 2007 really wasn't all that long ago.   I understand that my strong tone may not appeal to everyone and I can live with that. It's impossible to please everyone. None of us have the right to go through life without being occasionally irritated or even offended. If I've unintentionally...
I'm so sorry you're freaked out. I agree that it's very scary and absolutely horrifying that things have come to this.    I think the scanners will go away when the first class action lawsuits from irradiated frequent flyers and TSA employees who have cancer and cataracts start pouring in a few years from now. The backscatter machines emit ionizing radiation that is designed to be absorbed by the skin and soft tissues of the body--that's how it gives such a clear image...
I know it's cold comfort, but you're not alone! And when you opt out, they sometimes shut down the cancer box and wave the people behind you through the metal detector instead. So at least your choice to stand up for yourself may have a positive impact on others, even if they can't appreciate it.   Good luck and safe travels, mama! I'll be thinking of you and your family.    To Linda, I think I just need to bow out of discussing this further with you. It's clear that we...
Again, I'm not sure what your point is. You aren't bothered by the pat-downs...okay. Many people are though, and their complaints and concerns are valid too.   It probably is a crappy job. I can't say I'm too sorry about that.   As to background checks, there have been lots of scandals involving TSA employees committing various crimes on the job or related to their position as a security clerk at the airport--kidnapping and rape, theft (more examples here, here, and...
I don't remember saying all security personnel are perverts. TSA employees who make a living by fondling innocent people, including children...definitely.   "I was just following orders" doesn't fly as a defense, and it shouldn't. We're all responsible for our own choices, and people who choose to violate the rights of others, even for pay, must be held accountable.
  If you're seriously comparing getting a necessary medical screening by a trained professional with having your Fourth Amendment rights trampled by an unaccountable, glorified mall cop, I think we should probably just agree to disagree. Some of us don't casually submit to being treated like criminals or allowing our children to be abused in the name of "security". Obviously, others don't mind so much. But you don't get to tell me that my concerns about privacy...
    I looked into it. It takes several days depending on the route, and the cost is roughly three times more than a plane ticket if you get a sleeper cabin. Since it would take days, I'd be bringing the children. Since I'd be bringing a three-year-old and an infant, I'd need a sleeper cabin. The cost and the time it would take just aren't feasible for us right now.   For us, this engagement is too important to miss, so I'll opt out and deal with the consequences. I hate...