or Connect

Posts by peainthepod

I haven't been in contact with my bioparents (my choice) or brother (his choice when I cut them off) since my oldest was a few weeks old. Like you, I persevered for a really long time thinking that if I could just somehow be good enough, or somehow make them understand that they were hurting me and I'm really not a bad person and would actually be pretty cool to have in their lives, things would be okay. But you can't make anyone understand anything; they either see it...
I couldn't agree more with 2xy.   "My goodness, is there a reason you're refusing to speak to me? Have I done something to offend or anger you?" I would confront her and I'd do it in front of others so there was no chance she could twist what you said later on.   Calling out passive aggressives and other rude people is the absolute best defense against them. If nothing else, it will teach her that she doesn't get to treat you that way, especially not in your own...
How interesting, thanks for the link. When did a one-size-fits-all approach to vaccination, regardless of the patient's age, weight, medical history, and allergies become the standard of care, do you know?   Why are there no long-term studies comparing fully vaccinated to partially vaccinated to vaccine-free children? There would be nothing unethical about studying the health effects of vaccines on subjects who have chosen to remain vaccine-free.   Which other...
It's easier to call someone ugly names or insinuate that they're just not smart enough to question the self-proclaimed experts than it is to answer their sincere questions.   Questions like:   Where are the double-blind placebo safety studies for vaccines? You know, the actual science? Why are new vaccines only tested against older versions of the same vaccine?   Where are the studies proving that administering combinations of vaccines, as seen on the current...
Honestly, the only thing that has ever helped me is just making myself do things outside of the house, even when I don't want to. I know that sounds so simplistic and I wish I had a better answer for you, but it's the truth. I've struggled with depression and apathy since I can remember and really, the only way I can fight my urge to hide from the world forever is to force myself to go outside. Even if it's just for a few minutes. Even if it's just to get the mail,...
1.) I believe in evidence-based medicine. A one-size-fits-all approach for administering powerful pharmaceutical drugs to all children regardless of medical history and/or possible allergies is not evidence-based. It's political, profitable, and the scare stories make great copy, but the blanket approach doesn't make sense from an ethical perspective, let alone a scientific one. Here at MDC, we tend to accept that many obstetric practices are not evidence-based. It is my...
Let's role play here a bit, okay? I'm not going to touch your financial situation because other posters have covered it so well. But you can change how you interact with your MIL. You just need the will to do it.   Her: "You guys need to go out to the store and get some more [x] because you're running low. Okay? And I need some [y] so we'll have to get that too."   You: "I'm sorry, our food budget is very tight and we can't afford to buy anything extra right now. But...
You sound very depressed. In fact you sound like I sounded when I was very, very depressed. Is there someone in real life you can talk to? Do you have access to a therapist, counselor, or just someone who will sit and listen for an hour at a time? It doesn't mean you're crazy or broken or that there's anything wrong with you. Depression is treatable--without meds, even--and you deserve to be happy.   I'm sorry, mama. I wish I could be more helpful. I just couldn't...
    I agree. The constant snark and obnoxious, over-the-top meanness is really making this place feel ugly and unwelcoming. I keep reading posts calling such behavior "adult", as if it's somehow a mark of maturity to be rude to people and make snide comments in response to their honest posts. I don't talk to people like that in real life and somehow I doubt most of the snarkier posters do either. I also don't think it's very in-line with AP and gentle parenting to snipe...
There are countless boards where calling people names like "crybaby" and "loser" is what passes for interesting discussion. It would be a shame if MDC became one of them. The ability to debate someone without resorting to snark and namecalling--even if you really hate their opinion--is what makes for good discussions. It takes a lot more effort and thought to respond to a person's actual post instead of simply smearing them with an insult because you don't like what they...