or Connect

Posts by sbrinton

Hello,   I'm trying to figure out what to do about formula for our baby girl. I'm having a hard time comparing the price, quality and nutrition of different types of formula. We'll need to use soy (baby girl has a dairy allergy) and in general prefer organics. The organic formulas seem much more expensive than the others and we are on a budget - one of the things I'm trying to compare is whether it is worth it to pay more (like double the price) for organic formula,...
My husband and I have an adopted daughter from Uganda. She's 7 months now. I've induced lactation and have been making most of the milk she needs since she was 5 months old (prior to that she was on formula but not thriving), however in about one month I'll have to discontinue pumping. I'm looking for an alternative. She does not tolerate milk based formula well (think puking and rashes). While I would consider soy formula if we had to, I don't like that it's a highly...
Hello, Where do you live near London? Or where would you want to live? And why?   My family will be moving to London in September 2012. My husband will be going to graduate school near Regent's Park and working near Victoria. We have 5 children who will be between the ages of 2 and 8. We'd be looking for 3+ bedrooms and maybe a bit of garden. Hoping to live somewhere that we could survive without a car - close to shops, parks, schools - although we might buy an old...
Wonder if anyone else will reply...   We're considering a relocation to London in about Septemer 2012. We have 5 kids who will then be 2, 4, 6, 6 and 8. We'll be looking for something reasonably close into the city (my husband would work near Victoria) but still family friendly. Not sure yet what the package would look like and whether we'd have the kids at international or local schools.   I'd love to hear where others live in the London area and what they like...
We are in the process of adopting two girls from Uganda. We've just finished one of the adoptions. We ended up bringing our three biological sons who are 2, 4 and 6 to Uganda with us for almost 6 weeks this March and April. Overall, it was a great experience.   We are slow/selective vaxers normally, but for this trip we went ahead and did was the infectious medicine doctors suggested. We had them take malarone. At first, as they didn't know how to swallow pills, we...
I had read on the Dr. Sears page that with the addition of some supplements (daily multivitamin and omega 3s, sources of folic acid and iron), goats milk can be a good alternative to formula for some babies. It's a whole food, which seems better to me than soy formula made of mostly corn syrup and processed soy protein...   We may be able to find some donor milk, but we can't rely on it, and at least while I am back in Uganda I can't make my husband run around...
Hi there! Is this thread still active?   I could use some advice. We have adopted a baby girl from uganda. I was able to induce lactation and have been pumping and making all the milk she needs for about 2 months. I had breastfed my 3 biological kids and had wanted to try adoptive breastfeeding. Our little girl was not able to breastfeed, but she has thrived on breastmilk. In a couple weeks, however, I will have to return to Uganda without our baby girl to work on...
I am currently in Uganda about to bring home our 7 month old adopted daughter, Gabrielle. I have had her with me for two months. I was able to induce lactation and for the last two months she's been almost exclusively drinking breast milk. We tried and were not able to begin breastfeeding. I did not want to have a battle with her over this and have decided it's best for her to just make the bottle feeding as much like nursing as possible.   I am getting really tired...
Our family is finally about to adopt from Uganda!   I spent a lot of time in this forum over the year we were making the decision to adopt and then in the first couple months as we started our homestudy. We began the process to adopt from Rwanda and then ended up switching to Uganda. We had a referal for a toddler girl in September, however she died in November. After a couple months, we switched from adopting with an agency to adopting indepenently and decided to...
The recipe for F100 made with whole dried milk is 110 g whole dried milk, 50 g sugar, 30 g oil and 20 ml of an electrolyte/mineral solution with water added up to fill 1000 ml. We could not find a good way to get them the electrolyte/mineral solution, so we just gave them instruction for making the rest of the F100.   We weren't able to as precise as I would like to, as I have no idea what types of measuring cups they have! But one way or another, if they are adding...