or Connect

Posts by Peony

So glad to see an update. I've been thinking about you. We didn't do CBT. Well, we tried initially but the therapist and DD1 were not a good fit at all. We ended up eventually at a therapist who had none of those certifications but DD1 and her had an amazing connection which in the end, for her, mattered more.    My first instinct when reading about his behavioral issues is that yes, he is feeling better and that this is about control. As in he can't control the anxiety,...
I was a SAHM for 7-8 years before reentering my profession. It was tough! I was able to do a fair amount of continuing ed, conferences, networked through volunteer "jobs"over the couple years prior to returning. I sat for another certification in my profession and received a job offer from a contact that I had volunteered with. That job lasted 2 years before budget cuts left me jobless again. I am now working but not in my profession. I am unable to work full-time and part...
My 7 year old will continue her 2 day a week for an hour gymnastic program during the summer. We also always do swim lessons two days a week as well in the summer because that is the only time we can. I plan on doing a one week long half a day horse back riding camp but other then that we will just be at home. 
It varies state to state with laws. If the seller knew there was mold and failed to disclose that then it some states that is illegal but you would have to prove that they knew. A regular home inspection generally isn't going to be peeling back wall paper to look for mold. If they come across obvious visible mold or obvious water damage then that is different and would of been warned about that in the inspection report. A lot of cases of mold are hidden and you aren't...
We had a bouncy seat that I kept in the bathroom just so I could stash the baby in it and shower. When the babies would outgrow the bouncy then it was a extra saucer that I kept in the master bedroom and would drag into the bathroom doorway again as a safe place to stash baby/toddler. 
I am not a fan either of how much homework we receive. In our elem school, if homework is not finished then the child is kept in from recesses to finish it. In DD2's 1st grade class, the name of the student is written on the board for all to see as well. DD1's 5th grade teacher will not only keep them in from recesses but will detain after school until the work is completed. In a different school with DD1 when she was younger, I has been successful in refusing to to...
I do feel bad that my children have the whole two last name thing. For me, it was a last resort to give our children two last names. I am the last remaining family member who reproduced and carries that name. I am hopeful that perhaps one of my four children might carry it on at least a while longer. DH absolutely refused for the children not to have his last name. So two last names it was. I've always told the children that they can do whatever they want with the last...
My girls are on the opposite end of the clothing spectrum so my experience is not in buying generous brands. LL Bean and Lands End both run big IMO. My 11 year old who wears either a 10 Slim or 12 Slim depending on sizing, can still wear size 8 uniform skirts for school in both of those brands. The leggings are generous as well, we have some but can not wear them.  From what I can tell, the Lands End leggings don't appear to be as deep in the crotch as the Hanna ones. I've...
I have a 11 year old 5th grader. She receives 2-3 hours of homework 5 nights a week. That is a regular night, a bad night is much more. She also is severely dyslexic, remediated, but she still has to work much harder then another student in her class has to. I would say that she can do about 50% of her homework herself, all the rest I have to sit directly with her and help her step by step. A lot of it is just going over concepts again, especially math. Things like vocab...
There are still not that many. We no longer homeschool still. Well, at least this year! We take everything year by year. Next school year might find us doing some type of hybrid schooling for my oldest but we are still working on this year first.  With as many kids as I have, the wide ages, and as many people as I know here, I hear of groups, etc... even if I am not actively involved. It truly is a small town in that sense.      There is not a big unschool or even...