or Connect

Posts by Katherine4

I'm going to print this thread! So helpful. Thank you so much!!!    I'm really going to try to implement some of your techniques for heat of the moment stuff, the4ofus.    Thank you all so much!
ok, so let's say i need to take a stand with her because we have to be somewhere at a certain time so she has to stop what she's doing, or I tell her she can't watch tv because it's morning time (we almost always reserve her 1 hour of tv for the afternoon when she could use a little downtime anyway.) Maybe I've taken the appropriate precautions (giving reminders and warnings of what to expect, etc) and she still gets nasty. Can you give me some advice on what to do in...
Wow, you gals are the best! Thank you so much for your very helpful and thoughtful advice!    The4ofus: I really like the idea of a catchy little song. It's a simple, way of reminding her of what I expect and find acceptable while at the same time being lighthearted and a little fun. Lightening the mood is definitely in order! And you are so right about my taking it all personally!!! I was just crying to my good friend on the phone this morning about the situation...
Thanks so much for your input, ladies!! The planning ahead and the telling her what she can expect is a huge, important piece. You're right! I think the behavior issues this week were a result of my NOT doing some of that. Her behavior may also have been driven by my lack of patience, and my trying to force things upon her. That approach does not work. Yesterday, I regrouped, was much more calm, present and on my game, and things went much better. But I have to admit...
Thanks for the book recommendation, Queen, and for the sympathy!   Luckiestgirl, you make some really good points. My daughter is very smart, so she just ends up parroting the threats that I make to her. The problem is that I have tried what you have suggested and would say that the vast majority of time that is my m.o. I only end up making threats when the other approach doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere. YET when I do make the threats she seems to up the ante...
I'm feeling afraid of my 3.5 year old. I would call her spirited and I have always considered her rather difficult, but all and all I've felt as if I had a handle on things and that I had struck a good balance between giving her a sense of control and freedom, and yet not losing control myself. Today, and lately, though, things have seemed increasingly bad. We had a playdate at our house, which is not the norm, and my daughter was acting pretty out of control. When I...
This advice will be frowned upon here, but getting enough sleep is extremely important to my daughter's well-being, not to mention my own, so I wasn't willing to make room for shenanigans at bedtime. My 3.5 year old is the type who would be jumping out of bed endlessly if I didn't lay down the law, so here is what i do. We go through our bedtime routine including bath, stories and then bed. In her bedroom, I sing three songs (one by her bed, one by the door, and one...
I agree with the previous poster who suggested the importance of getting the kids outside to burn off energy (particularly boys), and coming up with any other strategies to direct their attention to something engaging and interesting to them. I have a 3 year old daughter who gets into trouble when she is tired, bored or restless, i've learned. She needs to move her body a lot (which is often problematic stuck in the house), she needs her sleep (or her behavior really...
Any chance your husband could take her into town with him each day and bring her to preschool? My daughter is the type of child who wants to be engaged and involved at all times. When I can't make that happen for her, she ends up getting into trouble. My daughter also loves being around people. She loves observing others and talking to others. Preschool was/is great for her. Some kids do fine with a lot of at-home time. Others need/want more stimulation and activity....
P.S. I wouldn't focus on the lying, other than making a quick mention of it. Focus on the primary behaviors and the big picture first.