or Connect

Posts by Raene

Yay, puppy!!!
I'm an only child and I'm not sure how to deal with this. My 6 yr old has been very mean to her 1 yr old (13 lb) baby sis. I don't think it has anything to do with DD2's special needs. I think DD1 is just being mean, either for attention or b/c she realizes she has power. We've caught her pestering the baby to the point of making her cry and not stopping (especially in the car), putting her feet on the baby while she's on the floor, and then a few days ago, and this is...
I'm grossed out by this too, but I don't agree with PP that you should get him fixed right away. There are many studies done to prove that you should wait about a year before fixing a dog. If you fix too early, it shortens their lifespan. Too late, and you have a higher chance of cancers. Never fix and strangely that's the shortest lifespan in the studies.
We got a Golden Retriever puppy 6 weeks ago and he's a doll. All purebred dogs are going to have some kind of genetic problems breed-wise. If you get a purebred, I highly recommend researching the specific problems related to the breed you want, and then finding a very good breeder who has had the parents genetically tested. You're going to pay more up front for these dogs (usually $800-$2500 depending on the breed) but then you won't be as likely to spend thousands...
She has had her hearing tested, yes. She definitely has selective hearing, too. She hears things with her door closed when she wants to. But often she is "away" when we talk to her. Well, honestly I'm the same way. I travel in my mind a lot. My husband thinks it's because we're both Aquarians that we do this...we're not very grounded. But it really seems to be more of an issue for DD.
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move Does you DD have sensory issues? Nope. The only thing she's ever been observed as having problems with is that she can't say the "R" sound. She's had a speech therapist seeing her at school, but they didn't do a full spectrum test on her to see if she has anything else. Good news...I finally got in to see her pediatrician, who I don't believe specializes in disorders (could be wrong) but she...
I see that this is old, but I wanted to chime in. I am also planning to feed raw. There are some REALLY great yahoo groups about it which have really helped me. I have found that it's MUCH cheaper to feed raw than to feed kibble. If you are feeding the low-quality kibble (Iams, etc) that later can backfire in health problems/vet bills. My dog died of cancer when I fed that stuff. I wish I'd known to feed better. If you feed the expensive kibble (Orajen, Taste...
We have noticed our 6 yr old getting more and more difficult. We have been thinking it's ADD. Some of the problems are: --trouble listening --trouble following simple directions --trouble putting self in other's shoes (self-centered) --trouble understanding concepts --LOTS of worry/anxiety --impatience/tantrums when little things don't go as planned --excessive talking to the point of choking on food b/c she literally cannot go one minute without...
Quote: Originally Posted by sunshinejanie Got mine yesterday and we will not be filling it out. I was shocked to see that they want dob and ss# for everyone in the house. Wayyyyy too much info, not doing it. Yeah...I forgot about the SSN bit, too! That's just too much.
I'm all for surveys and I understand the purpose of the 2010 Cen...but when I realized how much personal info it called for I started getting really paranoid. It's one thing to ask for your ages and how many people live in your house, but to go into putting your names and birthdays and status with your partner seems a little too much to me. I have been reading a lot of Holocaust books lately and maybe that's making me too paranoid, but really...for the gvt to have...