or Connect

Posts by journey1000miles

How much clothing do you keep for each child? We are so fortunate to receive hand-me-downs from multiple families, but it is more than we need. I'm brainstorming how much to keep for each size so I can donate the rest. TIA for your input! :-)
I'm vegetarian and I'm in need of some new high-protein snack ideas for my young children.  We have been leaning too heavily on carbs and I've noticed an increase in behavior concerns as a result.  We don't have any food allergies but my son does not like to eat cheese.  What are some of your favorites, aside from the usual hummus, nut butters, nuts, yogurt?  :-)
Our DS has been a very passionate (and very good) drummer since he was about nine months old.  He drums on everything, all day long, and even makes up drum soundtracks for his books.  He plays well on a djembe, drum set, and a Native American drum (along with pots/pans/buckets/tables/sister/etc) and has better rhythm than his mommy or daddy.  Over the past few months, a few professional drummers have suggested that he has a gift for drumming and should be in drum...
We have a friend who is adopting her three-year-old foster son next month.  Any suggestions for an appropriate gift for the family?  TIA!
First, a little background...  My son is almost 33 months old.  I nursed him until he was about 19 months old.  (At that point he was only nursing a couple times a day.)  Then, I had a miscarriage immediately following an unusual night of constant nursing (DS was sick).  Emotionally, I had a difficult time nursing after that and I felt a sense of resentment, even though the cause of the miscarriage was not known.  We were trying for another baby.  So, for three months I...
I'm a planner by nature and I am searching for the best system to use for our little homeschool.  My son is only two years old so we are starting off very simply, but I do like to plan out basic activities and goals.   Here are some aspects of my "dream" homeschool plan:  - Online so I can access it from computer or phone, and share with family/friends/spouse  - Show upcoming plans as well as reflections on what we did  - Simple format for me with little...
We're planning our first homebirth and are very excited to have our two-year-old participate.  Does anyone have recommendations for a children's book about homebirth?  As a childbirth educator, I have plenty of books/videos/charts about birth...and my son enjoys them all...but I would love a simple picture book about babies being born at home.  :-)   As a side note, I'm going to create a Shutterfly book about my son's experience with the story and photos from his...
Thanks, everyone!  I'll look into those two magazines!
A baby who is close to my heart was recently born with one hand.  He has two older siblings and a slew of cousins.  I would love to give his family a children's book that addresses his situation, either directly or indirectly...  Something that talks about how we all look different but are perfect in our own way.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  :-)
I'm searching for a great homeschool magazine to subscribe to.  So far, the samples I have received have been more religious than what I am looking for.  We have a toddler and are starting to do little homeschool things here and there for "preschool."  I haven't yet narrowed down my interest...some sort of cross between Montessori, Waldorf, Mason, and unschooling.  We're passionate about social justice and environmental topics and those will definitely be the center of...