or Connect

Posts by CamMom

With your daughter's IQ score I would be shocked if she didn't meet the IQ requirement. She actually meets the IQ requirements for Davidson, based on her GAI. As far as I know, Davidson (young scholars, institute) has the most rigorous IQ requirements in the country. For the gifted school- you will want to ask them what tests they accept and if they will accept a private test. It's possible that they may insist upon testing your DD themselves on the Stanford Binet. Once...
Coffee9to5 (love that user name!)- we moved my DS7 out of a small traditional private school classroom mid year of this year and into a Montessori (it will transition to traditional, but not until 3rd grade. Best educational decision we've made. He was disengaged from the learning and the class was no linger self paced like it was in K. He spent much of the time looking out the window and expressing frustration with the pace and instruction. He made careless mistakes and...
Wow. Those are great scores. The working memory and the processing are significantly lower, making the GAI the better measures of your daughter's abilities. However, they are both still in the high average/ superior range, so there is probably not much to worry about (I'm not an expert, but it's what I was told).  For reference, my son's processing is in the low 120s and the rest of the scores were gifted. He has no serious academic issues- I do notice that some longer...
That is a cool video- I think most kids that age would be pounding the keys! PBS kids has a comprehensive list of typical child development milestones. Taken with a grain of salt to account for individual development trajectories, it's useful. We didn't have a good understanding of the emotional/ behavioral issues that may affect very young gifted kids. That is. We tended to look more toward the intellectual milestones, when the behavior may have been equally as...
Anablis- I definitely have some adults in my family who may have led different lives if they had better educations and more nurturing as children. They came from backgrounds of rural poverty with low educational expectations. My grandfather, like your husband could build anything- and my father was reading by the age of four. Acording to my grandmother, he excelled at school with one eye open. Unfortunately, we think my dad has adult ADHD and it has negatively affected his...
Mckittre- my son was like that at five too. I think some kids intuitively understand how numbers work and can "abstract" after one short explanation.  I remember when DS was barely four writing out our first equation, explaining the symbols, and that was it. DS moved from "cookies" (in our case, jellybeans) to equations.    One thing to watch out for when your son goes to elementary (unless you're homeschooling) is whether the school has a well rounded math curriculum-...
captain optimism- math seems to be an area where gifted kids may have a hard time with the school curriculum. I've seen (and not responded) to other forums where parents and teachers seem to get upset if some children are working out of "grade level" in math. I don't know why-- other parents in other countries are not bashful about enriching their childrens math skills. There is plenty of support to show that US schools often don't do enough for kids in the early years...
captain optimism- we knew by age four, math was going to be out of sync in school. DS had already mastered most first and second grade math concepts by the time he entered K. There are some interesting math ideas out there - we looked at perfect numbers and DS broke down the factors for 496 on his own, we looked at the Knight's Tour and DS tried to draw his own (got 8 moves, not bad at age six), golden ratio is coming since we are learning a bit about ratios now. These...
To answer a few questions- we read the entire Sir Cumference series when my son was five- he loved it and still goes back and re-reads them. There are many interesting concepts but I especially liked the one about counting large numbers of people. We read "How Much is a Million?" (Another favorite) DS at five (and now) enjoyed math games- Yahtzee was big at 5-6 years and we still play the occasional tournament. Interesting shapes (nonagons, decagons, 3d shapes) we would...
Also, wanted to suggest that you view the Davidson forum, if you haven't already. They have a board devoted to 2e children. My son tests as gifted, and he was a hand full as a preschooler (this, without 2e).    A gifted child with ADHD, sensory, etc., is likely to be quite a challenge for parents, and if you're considering regular school, there will be other challenges and questions. It would be good to get some support and information- it's possible that there are some...