or Connect

Posts by CamMom

Well, we're moving schools mid year, so not so well. My DS's teacher took his words "I'm bored" for code that he lacks basic comprehension skills. She decelerated him in math and has been assigning extra book reports. Apparently, the 99th percentile on the standardized testing wasn't convincing that gee, perhaps, he's bored. We're going with a school that provides Singapore math, differentiated instruction, and better supports. We're lucky to have choices.
Thanks all- as the years wear on, I'm gaining a greater appreciation of the power of "soft" skills, which are shall we say "not in the gifted range." Offering an apology, controlling frustration, freeing oneself from distraction long enough to put on pants are a slow work in progress. Some days I need to shout out these moments of "cool" just to balance the scales.
I wonder pranava if you have considered a Montessori school? I am going to look at a local Montessori that practices pure (not hybrid) Montessori through the 8th grade. I have visited quite a few schools and Montessori seems to be one of the few environments where I have seen effective differentiation. Montessori makes me nervous because I want my DS to have a lot of "hard" knowledge when it comes to mathematics and writing/reading skills- but we will see.    I would...
Hi- I'm following a bit because we may be school shopping soon. If you like the look/feel of the school, I would ask about differentiation. I would follow up specifically to ask how they accomplish it. Small groups? Pull out programs? How do they serve gifted students? I've discovered that some schools "say" they do this, but don't implement it well. I would be open about the possible motor and learning challenges. The last thing you want is for your little one to settle...
And, Miranda, I should have said it right then, a ten year old doing high school math is awesome! I only personally know one other kid doing high school math at 10, and would frankly describe her as "off the charts." 
Hey Miranda- he did test "gifted" in working memory- I was frankly stunned because if tell him to get dressed, brush his teeth, and put on his shoes, it's 50/50 whether he will be wandering around the house in his underwear 20 minutes later! 
Thanks pranava! No, I do not have a calculator brain, but spent many years working in budgeting and accounting (a lot of math!). I was keeping up until 6 to the 4th power, but started crossing wires and giving up after that.  When it comes to this kind of thing, I'm trying to limit it to DH and grandma- it's nice to have another community. Someone mentioned that their five year old is doing something interesting with geometry. Manipulating large numbers in the head sort...
So, today my DS6 (first grade) multiplied six to the sixth power in his head while we were in the car. He did it faster in his head than I can do it in mine. (I'm not a slouch;) Anyway, my DH is traveling, and I can't post it on FB without looking like a tool. It was just very cool - and I had to tell someone. I know you all have many moments like these with your kids, so figured you would understand. He also had a series of sigh inducing meltdowns, followed by one...
I'm looking at my post and believe that I'm only "venting." Of course the next step is to have a rational discussion with his teacher- which makes me nervous because I'm not even sure myself what my DS's academic needs are, except that the current situation seems inadequate. I know he's not getting harder work in class, because the teacher sends home all of his completed worksheets. I don't know how open the teacher will be to giving DS harder work- I feel like she would...
My son did a lot f what you are describing including the deliberate, annoying behaviors and smacking our family dog on the head. He had terrible tantrums where he would become aggressive and destructive. He would try to run off or would climb yo the top of the playset and refuse to come down when kt was rime to leave the park. I was at my wit's end- I tried sticker charts (no long term effect), most discipline seemed to badly escalate the situation, time outs didnt work...