or Connect

Posts by CamMom

I am in need of some school advice- my DS6 is highly gifted and goes to a private school. The "skinny" is that his kindergarten experience was outstanding. The teacher did an amazing job working with him- both academically and behaviorally. I could extol her virtues on and on- she was wonderful. Soooo... First grade is not going great so far. He is coming home with math problems that are easier than the work he was doing at the beginning of K and mastered at around age...
It sounds like your son has sensory issues with the water. Picking up a screaming, upset kid and putting them in the bath or shower would not be an option for me unless it was an immediate priority (they were rolling in dog doo doo). My son bathes about 5 times per week due to pollen allergies (gets transferred from head, to pillow, to eyes and nose if he goes to bed without a shower). If this isn't an issue for you, I would at least suggest implementing a strong...
Yes, my six year old son is going through this- he's not following simple instructions, becoming defiant, and speaking to us disrespectfully. I will admit that I am not handling it well by allowing him to see my frustration. I'm starting to deal with it by a) putting the ball into his court by making him feel the threat of real world consequences for some behaviors (nothing health or safety:) for a strong willed kid, it does work. b) starting him in an earning cycle for...
With my strong willed kid, it helps to set the boundary and consequence in advance. For instance, we go to the park, we have rules of conduct that we discuss in advance, if the rules aren't followed, we leave.
Well, she's definitely trying to tell you something. Context is important here...is she otherwise hostile, aggressive, or defiant (outside of what is normal for a nearly four year old). Does she seem loving, attached? Basically, does she have any other serious behavior problems? If here are no other serious issues, she has developed a bad habit or is finding a maladaptive way to seek attention. She might benefit from a special chart or award for peeing only in the toilet...
I wanted to second Tigerle--my DS showed *a lot* of improved maturity between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2. He still does not like to be interrupted, but responds rationally to countdowns, warnings, etc. Also, the most worrying anxiety symptoms subsided through kindergarten. He's still "who he is" don't get me wrong, but he has much better coping skills.    I know that there are probably some "laid back" gifted kids. I just believe from hearing my friends (who also have some...
Oh my gosh! Yes, my son was terrified of automatically flushing toilets. I remember the poor kid "holding it" on frantic car ride home because he refused to use a public toilet that flushed automatically. I don't have great tips except 1) don't interrupt him if you can possibly avoid it and 2) don't lecture or question him too much about it. The first will cause a meltdown and the 2nd will make him feel bad. My son has no idea why he does the things he does. When he sensed...
My now DS6 loved the "BOB" books. Short sentences on each page with small, phonetic (looks just like it sounds) words. He was super proud when he could read them on his own. He is now in the first grade and, like many children on this forum, is tackling 200+ page chapter books. I have no doubt that he would be a great reader without much intervention, but a firm grounding in phonics amd high frequency sight words, plus reading to him every day of his life from engaging...
Just wanted to say that my "list" wasn't intended to be limiting. Kids, even gifted ones, are unique. I only mentioned it because we didn't consider giftedness early with my son, and he started to act out as a toddler/ preschooler in ways that baffled us. He is our "only" and we have a small family, so we didn't realize that some of the things mentioned above are strong indicators of giftedness. Sadly, he was a misunderstood child for awhile. So, whether you need to do...
Your son seems advanced! Things that I've noticed many (not all) parents of gifted young children mention and that my son could do: 1. Alphabet recognition before age two 2. Rote counting or numeracy by age two. Some number recognition 3. Recognition of basic and a few advanced shapes by two 4. Advanced language skills- many words, sentences, and some advanced words by two. As they get between 2 and 3, there are some other things.